Gwynedd holiday home council tax double plan put to the people
The people of Gwynedd are being asked whether holiday and second home owners should pay up to double for their council tax.
The cash-strapped council said any extra money raised could be used to help meet local housing needs and protect local services.
An estimated 23,000 homes in Wales are empty or used as second homes, and changes to the Housing (Wales) Act 2014 mean councils can now charge a premium of up to 100% extra.
Flintshire , Wrexham , Powys and Pembrokeshire have already decided to raise rates by 50% from April 1, 2017 - meaning those who currently pay £1,000 annually will be... read more
- 09:22 Arsonists strike SIX times across South Yorkshire over weekend
- 09:22 Three-car crash causes tailbacks on A595 near Workington
- 09:22 Staying in style in Barcelona
- 09:21 Arsonists strike SIX times across South Yorkshire over weekend
- 09:21 Countrywide seeks fresh funding as property sales slide
- 09:21 Careers Day proves a hit at Sherburn
- 09:21 Leicester heatwave: The top temperatures each day this week for...
- 09:20 Councils rake in millions from garden waste collections
- 09:17 Poulton woman left devastated after Timmy the tortoise goes missing
- 09:17 Resort youngsters join future dance stars for showcase night
- 09:17 Radio 4 stand up Jeremy looks at the human condition on tour
- 09:17 'Spanish plume’ could bring Britain’s hottest day in three years
- 09:16 Jeremy Hunt’s name is still a big problem for radio presenters
- 09:16 Judge gives drug-dealing friend of stabbing victim a chance before...
- 09:14 From the archive: the male nude in 1972
- 09:14 Three bags are better than one: Rihanna nails fashion’s most...
- 09:14 Seven ways to strengthen your core
- 09:13 The Mash Report's Rachel Parris: 'There was a lot of excitement and...
- 09:13 Recycle your old cooking oil
- 09:13 How to prevent sunburn but enjoy the heatwave we’re...
- 09:13 People don’t want to work in the UK anymore
- 09:10 Bowled over by beautiful Bequia: Jonathan Agnew unearths a secret...
- 09:10 Britain set for eight summer heatwaves with temperatures hotter...
- 09:10 Mohamed Salah ‘happy’ with Egypt amid Chechnya political symbol furore
- 09:09 Cheshire West team helps patients return to a normal life after...
- 09:09 Tributes paid to Briton killed in Cyprus hit-and-run
- 09:07 Dundee United to cash in as former player Stuart Armstrong heads to...
- 09:07 Man dies and two others fighting for lives after burglary in Bristol
- 09:07 No one worthy of travel injunction, insists West Midlands Mayor
- 09:07 Stephanie Davis spoke to tragic Love Island star Sophie Gradon days...