Grass fire devastates site of special scientific interest near Dalston
Firefighters from Carlisle were this evening called out to the county's latest grass fire - this time at the site of a site of special scientific interest.
Crews from the Carlisle West fire station were called out to the blaze - thought to have been started by children - on land on the fringe of Dalston, near to the Durdar Road, at around 7.20pm tonight.
At its height, the fire spread over an area measuring 12 metres by 40 metres. A local farmer played a key role in quickly killing fire, said a Fire Service spokesman. He used and earth mover to scoop water from a nearby stream on the... read more
- 01:17 'The nation is behind us': New Zealand shares pain of Christchurch...
- 01:08 ‘I'm fed up with hearing May talk about who voted to leave’
- 01:08 Put it to the People march: a formidable sea of humanity and...
- 01:08 One million join march against Brexit as Tories plan to oust May
- 01:06 Stan Grant turns down Liberal offer to run in key Sydney federal...
- 01:03 What's going on with the UK economy?
- 01:00 Road sign cleaner who went viral overwhelmed at response
- 00:52 The grieving mum helping underprivileged students
- 00:49 First pictures of Stephen Merchant as Hull's Anthony Walgate killer...
- 00:45 Fire on Winter Hill in Rivington extinguished
- 00:36 Thailand election: everything you need to know about Sunday's vote
- 00:16 Massive fire breaks out in Glasgow where person 'knocked down'
- 00:13 Transplant service at 'breaking point'
- 00:09 RBS backs programme for female entrepreneurs
- 00:09 ‘Buy now, pay later’ deals blamed for many of Scottish consumers’...
- 00:07 Why Man Utd Ole Gunnar Solskjaer announcement delay has Tottenham...
- 00:06 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:05 Harry Maguire votes for Raheem Sterling and bright future for England
- 00:04 Euan McColm: History unmasks Brexit fellow traveller Corbyn
- 00:04 Nicola Sturgeon calls on MPs to seize control of Brexit from...
- 00:03 How the Scotland players rated during 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan
- 23:56 Review: Audi TT
- 23:54 Blocking indyref2 will deliver Yes landslide, says Canavan
- 23:53 Man in surgery after stabbing himself in the neck in Preston
- 23:52 Alzheimer’s and aluminium linked in Edinburgh University study of...
- 23:51 Manchester City will have to smash club transfer record to sign...
- 23:51 Manchester United told to pay £150m for Napoli defender Kalidou...
- 23:43 Villagers seek £200k to open community pub to replace occasional...
- 23:39 Spice Girl Mel B reveals she 'had sex' with bandmate Gerri Halliwell
- 23:31 Dani Garavelli: Hypnotised by May’s awful ‘I’m on your side’