GP Taylor: State must step in to give rural areas transport
I HAVEN’T driven my car for several days. This isn’t out of virtue. It’s just that I live in Whitby and last Thursday I found a parking space two streets from my house and didn’t want to risk having to park in Ruswarp over the Regatta Festival last weekend. This is quite normal for people who live on my street. Parking has replaced weather as a topic of conversation.
Having no car, I planned a family trip by rail to Grosmont. That was until I found out the price. What would have cost me £1.60p in fuel for my car was going to hit my wallet for over £20. The journey would have been 6.8 miles.... read more
- 00:11 Vienna nest of spies: Why Austria is still centre for espionage
- 00:11 Students targeted in 'biggest-ever' phishing scam
- 00:07 French fuel protests against Macron over rising prices
- 00:00 Nottingham Rock City evacuated after 'flare set off'
- 23:53 No threat seen as Rugby Australia gives blessing to rival competition
- 23:48 Ariana Grande debuts short hair - and fans go wild
- 23:38 Who should you vote for in the Victorian election?
- 23:33 Cuba pulls doctors out of Brazil amid row
- 23:33 Chelsea set to win race for Borussia Dortmund’s £70m-rated star...
- 23:33 Djokovic offers solution to Federer and Zverev debate on ATP calendar
- 23:33 Emma Bunton relaunches solo career despite Spice Girls reunion
- 23:26 Moment drunk driver deliberately crashes into crowd of people...
- 23:26 Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams to challenge governor poll loss
- 23:23 ‘I wasn’t rusted to either side’: Ricky Muir makes another tilt at...
- 23:15 Trump 'personally answers Mueller Russia questions'
- 23:11 How long can gin stay in high spirits?
- 23:11 Turkey who became mayor of town is wanted by police for...
- 23:05 Arsene Wenger advises Paris Saint-Germain to sign Arsenal contract...
- 22:57 Arsenal hierarchy say club never pursued super league breakaway
- 22:57 Claudio Ranieri puts burgers on menu to beef up Fulham survival...
- 22:57 Gareth Southgate urges England to put World Cup lessons to use...
- 22:57 Netherlands secure victory over France to condemn Germany to...
- 22:55 Trump blames California wildfires on forest mismanagement again
- 22:52 Homeless man died waiting for his dog after being kicked out of...
- 22:48 Publisher of the 'i' newspaper sets out rescue plan
- 22:47 ATP Finals: Cilic makes prediction for Federer v Zverev and...
- 22:40 Brexit turmoil: Small businesses 'fed up with the whole thing'
- 22:39 Greens event won’t have formal debate on Jeremy Buckingham allegations
- 22:39 Stacey Abrams: Republican Brian Kemp will be Georgia's next governor
- 22:38 Neymar’s penalty gives Brazil win over Uruguay in lacklustre friendly