Government insists UK will leave customs union
The government has restated its commitment to leaving the EU's custom union - ahead of a symbolic vote on the issue this week.
Last Wednesday, the government suffered defeat on the EU Withdrawal Bill in the House of Lords - when peers voted in favour of staying in the customs union.
As a result, MPs will get a chance to debate the proposal on Thursday.
But a senior Downing Street source told the BBC the government's position would not change.
"We will not be staying in the customs union or joining a customs union," the source said.
Labour has called for the UK to join a new... read more
- 00:28 Car boot sale this weekend
- 00:28 Ravensthorpe takeaway shut due to rats
- 00:28 Religious order to stand trial over horrific abuse
- 00:27 Cricket is tackling sexism in India's schools
- 00:26 California congressman Duncan Hunter and wife charged with corruption
- 00:26 Rail works and strikes to disrupt August bank holiday travel
- 00:25 Newcastle news: Jamaal Lascelles insists there is no need to panic...
- 00:25 Aston Villa news: Steve Bruce praises Alan Hutton fitness and...
- 00:20 Will Smith stuns shoppers as he dresses as a Boots sales assistant...
- 00:20 Truth behind Katie Price's finance problems exposed as reality star...
- 00:20 LazyTown actor Stefan Karl Stefansson dies aged 43
- 00:20 Forget 'survival of the fittest' – the laziest will inherit the earth
- 00:19 Price comparison sites 'rife with errors'
- 00:19 Mental health problems 'block travel insurance cover'
- 00:19 Bank scam victims 'shouldn't be blamed for money lost'
- 00:19 Salary question blamed for gender pay gap
- 00:19 S&P index set for record winning streak
- 00:18 The Yorkshire Post says: The amabassadors. Mayors and their...
- 00:18 The Yorkshire Post says: Brexit – and a need for jobs flexibility...
- 00:17 Call for two years further freedom of movement after Brexit
- 00:15 The Yorkshire Post says: Canal pioneers. How best to cross the...
- 00:06 Thomas and Friends make a great day out for all the family at...
- 00:05 National Trust property hosts event with Nazi uniforms and...
- 00:04 'Rare' hut sold on southern edge of British Isles
- 23:57 Man posed as ex-fiancée's mother's ghost
- 23:57 Greg Rusedski warns Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal not to...
- 23:54 Zinedine Zidane the ‘ideal candidate’ to replace Jose Mourinho,...
- 23:48 Paul Merson ‘shocked’ Aaron Ramsey stayed at Arsenal after Chelsea...
- 23:39 Venezuela hit by 7.3-magnitude earthquake
- 23:37 Scientists discover how to CONVERT types A and B into type O