Give statins to ALL men at 60 and women from 75: Harvard experts say drug is vital to saving lives
Statins should be prescribed to all men over 60 and women over 75, a major study claims.
It says almost 12million adults in England ought to take the pills, which lower cholesterol, to prevent heart attacks and strokes.
However, 6.3million are not using the drugs – even though they are considered to be at high risk.
The research estimated that if all eligible adults did take statins, 290,000 heart attacks and strokes would be avoided each year.
The US study from Harvard University provides the most in-depth estimate so far of the number of adults in England who should be on statins.... read more
- 10:03 Amazon's first checkout-free grocery store opens on Monday
- 10:04 New five-year plan recognises need for market improvements
- 10:03 Liverpool chiefs expected to fly for talks with Besiktas over £27m...
- 10:03 DVLA urgently tells motorists to retake eye tests amid concerns...
- 10:03 Hammerson sells Fife retail park as part of £164m disposal
- 10:04 LIVE: All the latest news from the Premier League
- 10:03 Sheep dog rescued after becoming trapped for two days
- 10:03 Brochure from 1980 gives fascinating insight into history of...
- 10:04 Boris Johnson blames Sadiq Khan for London knife crime 'scandal'
- 10:03 Thousands of days lost to bed blocking at the Sheffield Teaching...
- 10:03 Why 25 pubs a week are closing and many will never re-open
- 10:05 Rave reviews for Ribble Valley author's first fictional novel
- 10:03 Gossip: Chelsea wait for Manchester United’s response to Barcelona...
- 10:03 Worthy Melton borough causes share cash from Great Rempstone Steam...
- 10:04 Historic North of Tyne devolution deal reaches its final stage
- 10:03 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after Fleetwood death
- 10:03 No deal Brexit fears overblown, says JD Wetherspoon boss
- 10:04 Extent of PFI repayments revealed
- 10:04 In pictures: Rocester v Chasetown FC
- 10:04 Google Translate is spitting out weird doomsday messages saying the...
- 10:04 Islamic State 'Beatles' duo: UK 'will not block death penalty'
- 10:03 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho draws up shock plan amid talks for...
- 10:03 Volunteers desperately wanted to save factory hens from slaughter -...
- 10:04 New giant LED screen at Ricoh Arena 'one of largest in UK sport'
- 10:03 Investors favour global outlook as a result of Brexit
- 10:04 Firefighters free woman trapped after crash in Wakefield
- 10:03 Blackpool’s ‘Minor Ailment Scheme’ worry for children after fresh...
- 10:03 Work starts on £160m designer outlet just over an hour from Leicester
- 10:03 Universal Credit claimants struggling to navigate system, finds study
- 10:04 Polar opposites: holidays in the Arctic and the Antarctic