Gillian Ayres: Trailblazing abstract artist dies at 88
Gillian Ayres, one of Britain's leading abstract painters of the last 60 years, has died at the age of 88.
Ayres was at the forefront of the British contemporary art scene from the 1950s, and became known for paintings filled with vibrant shapes and colours.
She was nominated for the Turner Prize in 1989 and was made a CBE in 2011.
Agent Alan Cristea said that, as a female abstract artist in the UK, she was "way ahead of her time and the vast majority of her male counterparts".
She saw her gender as "an irrelevance" when it came to her art, however, he said.
"She... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle