German state bans migrants from moving to city after Merkel U-turns on policy
The government of Lower Saxony, in northwest Germany, has claime the imposed immigration restrictions on migrants in Salzgitter is due to the city’s “exceptionally high immigration” and “for reasons of integration”.
The mandate stated: “This is an exceptional measure aimed at preventing the social and societal exclusion of immigrant refugees.”
Germany has struggled to absorb more than a million migrants from the Middle East and Africa who have arrived in the country over the last few years.
Chancellor Angela Merkel has come under fire for her lenient migrant polices which have seen... read more
- 05:06 East Midlands Airport passengers furious as flights depart without...
- 04:44 China's second quarter growth meets expectations at 6.7%
- 04:14 Spaceport receives go-ahead on Scottish peninsula
- 03:59 Shipwrecks at Tankerton and Camber Sands to be protected
- 03:52 Sharp Objects recap: season one, episode two – Dirt
- 03:38 Trump-Putin summit: US leader cautious ahead of Helsinki talks
- 03:25 Italy allows migrants to land in Sicily
- 03:25 Casino project will offer Japan's addicts a new way to lose
- 03:24 Chelsea board send message to Eden Hazard over Real Madrid transfer
- 02:51 Labor MP Michael Danby's preselection meeting undemocratic,...
- 02:51 Valentine's day of reckoning
- 02:51 Giro Rosa won by Australian team Mitchelton-Scott
- 02:51 N’Golo Kante’s reaction is superb as France players sing his name...
- 02:51 Nicaragua troops raid towns in south
- 02:51 Top 10 Burton restaurants according to TripAdvisor
- 02:14 Gillespie Macandrew hails year of growth
- 02:14 Hulk Hogan ‘hugged and cheered’ by wrestlers following WWE return...
- 02:14 Comment: Attracting leaders will put Scotland on the world stage
- 02:08 'Lost' Gustav Holst score returned to UK after 100 years
- 02:03 UK will lose track of many EU migrants after Brexit - report
- 01:47 Jaguar kills eight other animals after escaping from zoo enclosure
- 01:46 Military spouses set up skills base in Fife
- 01:27 Plan for multi-million pound transformation of Garth Lane site into...
- 01:27 The Yankee Candle shoplifter who was knocked down as she fled...
- 01:14 CCTV reveals explosive device thrown at home of Gerry Adams
- 01:04 Margaret Fulton's Basque chicken recipe
- 00:54 North Korea to resume search for US military remains
- 00:47 Trump-Putin summit: Why is it a big deal?
- 00:47 Higher Sunday roadworks speed limit tested
- 00:46 Female workers to earn £74k less than male peers, research reveals