George Pell high court appeal: cardinal granted final appeal against child sexual abuse conviction
Cardinal George Pell will have a final chance to overturn his conviction on historical child sexual abuse offences after the high court in Canberra granted his legal team special leave to appeal on Wednesday.
A date for the appeal hearing is yet to be set but it will likely be early in 2020 by the full bench of seven judges. Led by the high-profile silk Bret Walker SC, Pell’s legal team will argue that the majority of judges in Victoria’s court of appeal erred by finding in August that jurors were not unreasonable to believe the testimony of Pell’s victim.
“There did remain a reasonable... read more
- 07:36 Royal Mail reveals what is in letters to Santa this year
- 07:32 Stage is set for donkeys' debut at Brighouse nativity
- 07:32 Car exploded on West Yorkshire high street when driver lit...
- 07:29 James Haskell and Chloe Madeley make baby announcement
- 07:28 Can you solve it? The club sandwich problem
- 07:26 Star Wars forecast to make 2019 all-time record year for UK box office
- 07:26 Midlothian Council’s carbon footprint down by a quarter
- 07:25 Roman Kemp and girlfriend open up on future of their relationship
- 07:24 Australia bushfires: 'Mega blaze' destroys homes ahead of heatwave
- 07:20 Water firms forced to cut bills by £50 by 2025
- 07:17 Is it a good idea to 'port' my mortgage to buy my partner's home?
- 07:17 Halifax has been a pain over moving cash between my accounts
- 07:16 Greece says it's 'reached limit' as arrivals of refugees show no...
- 07:16 Converting coal plants to biomass could fuel climate crisis,...
- 07:16 'Far too many are struggling': are universities failing autistic...
- 07:16 Dan knows Saints must take Big strides during crucial Christmas period
- 07:14 Driver was so drunk he didn’t even notice he had lost a tyre
- 07:13 Major changes to train timetables come into force today
- 07:10 Sausage roll song set to be Christmas number one, again
- 07:07 Whitehall shake-up planned 'to deliver people's priorities'
- 07:05 Writer left in tears after her therapy dog was refused entry into...
- 07:04 Desperate search for Ryan Molloy, 15, not seen for two weeks
- 07:05 Deaths could have been avoided at Glasgow hospital if staff had...
- 07:04 Car explodes when driver lights cigarette in powerful blast
- 07:04 Girl, 8, who planned her own funeral dies after doctors failed to...
- 07:04 Mesut Özil row: China's Arsenal fans burn shirts in anger at...
- 07:02 75 per cent of Brits prefer to sit by their pooch than the...
- 07:02 "I'm mutts about you" - Dog lover tracks down stray pup roaming...
- 07:02 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 06:59 Chance for a rest: Preston aiming to freshen up ahead of Christmas...