Gambling on credit cards could be banned in overhaul of betting
The government is considering banning the use of credit cards in gambling – a move that would affect billions of pounds worth of bets a year.
The culture secretary, Jeremy Wright, said he would haul bookmakers and major retail banks into meetings to discuss concerns that up to 20% of deposits with some gambling firms are made using money that consumers do not actually have.
The industry regulator, the Gambling Commission, will launch a call for evidence on the matter in February, adding that regulation could follow.
The move is part of a broader crackdown that will also lead to the... read more
- 14:24 Unai Emery explains how Mesut Ozil can get back in the Arsenal...
- 14:24 Russia bans smartphones for soldiers over social media fears
- 14:23 Woman who claimed housing benefit while living in the Big Brother...
- 14:23 Home office to strip Shamima Begum of citizenship, family told
- 14:23 How murdered James Brindley's parents are trying to stop more killings
- 14:22 Warren Gatland favourite to replace Eddie Jones as England head coach
- 14:20 These are the worst areas of Sheffield for anti-social behaviour
- 14:20 School focus: Hunters Bar Infant School
- 14:20 ‘Pedophile’ caught with ‘victim,’ 13, after he rang police to say...
- 14:19 Asda and Sainsbury's merger could push up food prices and reduce...
- 14:19 Harrogate concern at 'creepy' man approaching women at beauty spot
- 14:18 ‘UK first’ as Sheffield Hallam University sets up law firm to give...
- 14:18 TALKING FOOTBALL PODCAST: Write St Johnstone off at your peril
- 14:18 Terrifying MACHETE found in Balsall Heath park swoop
- 14:18 Kate Middleton has the one thing that Princess Diana always wanted
- 14:17 'How does this solve the parking issue?' - Your views on new single...
- 14:16 Weekend warmth bringing chance of the hottest February day ever
- 14:16 Harrogate concern at 'creepy' man approaching women at beauty spot
- 14:15 Wood panel manufacturer Norbord reveals £35m investment in Inverness
- 14:15 Residents are being reminded to keep sheds locked after reports of...
- 14:15 Scots jeweller caught growing cannabis farm above his shop tells...
- 14:14 Warton man to take on London Marathon for the Dementia Revolution
- 14:14 ‘Rapist’ caught with teen after he called for help when they got...
- 14:14 ‘UK first’ as Sheffield Hallam University sets up law firm to give...
- 14:13 ‘S*** hits the fan’ Aston Villa fans all make same point about...
- 14:13 £21m plan to transform bus depot into city centre ‘gateway’ approved
- 14:13 Wolves linked with shock transfer ahead of summer window - reports
- 14:12 'Ready to pounce' - Coventry City's play-off chances assessed
- 14:12 Warton man to take on London Marathon for the Dementia Revolution
- 14:11 Dog fighting gang busted after EIGHT animals found with horrible...