From Tbilisi to a tent: What next for the Saakashvili circus?
It's often said that a circus surrounds Georgia's former president.
Some dismiss him as a clown. But like him or loath him, and few Ukrainians are in-between, there is something of the magician about Mikheil Saakashvili.
The 49-year-old's power for reinvention, and the improbable have created a political persona that no native Ukrainian can match.
This week it seemed inevitable that the next chapter of the Saakashvili story would be set in prison. He'd been arrested at his Kiev home by security officials and bundled into a police van.
Prosecutors were accusing him of receiving funding from... read more
- 05:05 Councillor launches search for alternatives as Millom to Barrow bus...
- 05:05 Punter wins big on World Cup final after two huge slices of luck
- 05:05 Man charged with assault and malicious wounding in Boston
- 05:05 Tributes to Barrow mum who died suddenly at home aged 41
- 05:05 Matalan are advertising 150 new jobs in Liverpool - here's...
- 05:05 Butlin's Redcoats and Stephen Mulhern bring smiles to sick children...
- 23:15 Avebury stone circle contains hidden square, archaeologists find
- 05:05 Green-fingered primary school win national award
- 05:05 New Lincs Co-Op food store and pharmacy opens near Boston this week
- 05:05 Security fears lead to two gun dealers losing sales permits
- 23:15 Polish up your pecs: women prefer strong men, say scientists
- 04:36 Wolves digest: Patricio's message; Good times ahead; Nuno's only...
- 23:15 Archaeologists find earliest evidence of bread
- 04:36 West Bromwich Albion's 2018/19 plans are finally starting to take...
- 04:36 Birmingham City plan a re-think after transfer window setback
- 23:11 VMAs 2018: Cardi B, Beyoncé and Jay-Z lead nominees
- 04:36 Aston Villa's preparations continue but the off-field issues take...
- 23:09 May narrowly heads off defeat after caving in to Brexit hardliners
- 21:44 Trump's Nato approach helped make a difference, says May
- 21:44 Sending MPs on early holiday could make all the difference for May
- 04:35 £1.5m to mend potholes in Leeds is not enough, claims leader
- 21:44 Labour plans radical selection overhaul including all BAME shortlists
- 19:37 Rocket men: locals divided over plans for UK's first spaceport
- 19:36 'We're building a bridge' – the exhibition shining a light on...
- 19:36 Anna Soubry on Brexit: ‘History will condemn those who haven’t...
- 04:01 Trump-Putin summit: US president under fire over poll meddling...
- 03:56 Private tutors 'should face DBS criminal record checks'
- 03:56 Some slime toys have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron - Which?
- 03:56 Millions to face hosepipe ban in north-west England
- 18:53 Trio of new Doctor Who companions unveiled