Fraudsters jailed for £37m copycat web scam
A group of fraudsters who conned UK consumers out of £37m by selling passports and driving licences through copycat websites have been sentenced to more than 35 years in jail.
The six people, led by Peter Hall and including his wife Claire, operated websites that impersonated official government services.
They then sold key documents to people for inflated prices.
The illegal profits were used to fund luxury holidays and cars.
Mike Andrews, lead co-ordinator of the eCrime team at National Trading Standards, which investigated the fraud, said: "This was a crime motivated by greed. This... read more
- 09:07 Repairs are planned after pensioner’s fall
- 09:07 Nigerian singer D'banj's son, 1, dies after drowning in swimming pool
- 09:07 SWP Engineering exhibits new shellfish cooker on national stage
- 09:07 Maltings revamp is considered
- 09:07 Latest news from Berwick Stroke Club
- 09:06 Man Utd legend Roy Keane shuts down Gary Neville and Ian Wright...
- 09:06 We’re probably the only intelligent life in the universe,...
- 09:05 Sheffield among worst places in country for dog attacks on postal...
- 09:04 From burning toupees to breaking boundaries: why Queer Eye is TV's...
- 09:02 Chelsea news: Maurizio Sarri set to replace Antonio Conte in next...
- 09:01 Council saved £8.7 million with smarter budgeting last year
- 09:01 Uber's appeal over London licence ban begins
- 09:00 Please appreciate these proud pups enjoying Pride parades
- 09:00 M25 traffic chaos as one lane blocked sparks huge delays
- 08:59 Sheffield among worst places in country for dog attacks on postal...
- 08:58 Child airlifted to hospital with head injuries after cliff fall
- 08:57 Gallery: Annual Handmade Parade was once again a success
- 08:56 Man Utd on red alert as Neymar outlines Real Madrid transfer...
- 08:56 Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland slash current account interest for...
- 08:56 Grand motors: The 10 cars most likely to be listed for sale under...
- 08:56 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:55 One dead and two fighting for life during burglary in Bristol
- 08:55 Victory propels Erdoğan into elite club of strongman leaders
- 08:54 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:54 Amber Valley Soroptimists’ fashion fundraiser
- 08:54 Careers Day proves a hit at Sherburn
- 08:53 Deer 'stuck' in River Soar prompts 4 fire engines into action
- 08:53 Aston Villa step up preparations for the 2018/19 campaign
- 08:53 This is why there are no World Cup fan zones in Birmingham
- 08:53 This is where released goalkeeper Boaz Myhill could pitch up after...