France: Charities urge government to delay Jungle’s demolition
FRENCH refugee charities told the government yesterday it was “heading straight into a wall” over its plan to clear the Jungle camp in Calais.
Homelessness charity Emmaus and other organisations working in the camp met Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve again over the government’s stated intention to demolish the sprawling camp, home to up to 10,000 residents, by the year’s end.
The first group of refugees is expected to be moved to reception centres across the country as soon as next week.
Emmaus asked for the closure to be postponed, saying the conditions for an effective and... read more
- 12:00 John McEnroe calls for Wimbledon to seed Serena Williams ahead of...
- 12:00 HMS Queen Elizabeth squeezes into harbour on her return to Portsmouth
- 12:00 Woman seriously injured in ‘horrific’ sexual assault attack
- 12:00 We asked our readers for their memories of the Clock Tower - and...
- 11:57 Chief ‘sad’ over low turnout of England fans at World Cup
- 11:57 England and Panama fans party until dawn
- 11:57 Man, 59, gets four consecutive life sentences for raping...
- 11:57 Bolton Wanderers linked with departing Burton Albion midfielder
- 11:55 Fisherman robbed of haul at sea off Devon's Slapton Sands
- 11:54 New event set to unite Wragby community
- 11:53 Fire breaks out at Molson Coors brewery
- 11:53 Fly-tipping blaze in Eckington
- 11:52 These three simple steps will get your child to listen to you
- 11:51 Police horses show off football skills staging their own England vs...
- 11:51 ‘South of the Tyne’ devolution deal would benefit region, says...
- 11:51 Glasgow School of Art blaze ‘shows need for nationwide action’
- 11:49 Real Madrid star ‘annoyed’ as Julen Lopetegui targets Chelsea’s...
- 11:47 What is a rabona and where does it gets its name?
- 11:47 Maurizio Sarri tells Chelsea to rival Liverpool and Real Madrid for...
- 11:44 Man Utd transfer news: Savic update, Mbappe shock swoop, Real...
- 11:43 This what caused explosions and thick black smoke in Trevor Street,...
- 11:42 Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Tina Fey triumphs again
- 11:41 Lesbian couple are denied 'hers and hers' wedding rings - couple...
- 11:40 Han Solo 'blaster' fetches $550,000 in New York
- 11:40 Pupils upskirting teachers increasing, NASUWT Cymru warns
- 11:39 Little Acorns Nursery rated ‘good’ by Ofsted
- 11:38 Mateo Kovacic next club: Man City, Tottenham favourites to sign...
- 11:37 This is why there's a man living in Foleshill Community Centre
- 11:35 Zimbabwe election to 'to go ahead as planned' after blast
- 11:34 War hero, 98, devastated after burglars break in and steal his...