Food banks see 'shocking' rise in number of users
Hundreds of thousands more people are turning to food banks to avoid going hungry, a charity says. Established food banks have seen a 51% increase in clients over the last year, a "shocking" rise, said the Trussell Trust, the largest provider in the UK.
The biggest single reason for people needing extra food was delays in payment of benefits.
However the government said there was no evidence of a link between welfare reforms and the use of food banks.
The second biggest reason, given by 20% of food bank users, was low income.
"In the last year, we've seen things get worse,... read more
- 04:43 Time's up for predatory men such as rich kid Edinburgh student...
- 04:43 Scots-based supermum beats men to win 268-mile marathon a year...
- 04:43 Tayside NHS health board in double pay-off scandal amid fears ex...
- 04:43 Mum of tragic student Emily Drouet welcomes sobbing sex fiend's...
- 04:43 Man found dead on Edinburgh city bypass may be hit-and-run victim
- 04:43 The hilarious and cringeworthy Scottish football chants that have...
- 04:43 Student stayed debt-free at uni doing night shift until 8am then...
- 04:43 Tragic grandad hit by van died just yards from his Linwood home
- 04:43 Sir Jackie Stewart says wife's dementia battle is one of his...
- 04:34 Germany 'considers ban on Huawei' amid global backlash
- 04:32 Man who tried to help female friend ends up needing eye surgery...
- 04:32 Prince Philip A149 crash road speed limit 'to be reduced'
- 04:22 Allied Surveyors seals twin deals amid ‘buoyant’ property market
- 04:15 Top North Korean official arrives in Washington for talks
- 03:57 Aiia Maasarwe: Arrest over killing of Israeli student in Melbourne
- 03:50 Nick Kyrgios gives inside track on Roger Federer’s game during...
- 03:12 Dunfermline eatery marks latest venture for Coghills
- 03:11 Arizona officer kills teen boy carrying replica gun
- 03:05 Novak Djokovic responds to Denis Shapovalov’s plans to use Rafael...
- 02:59 Sydney axe attacks: Woman jailed for wounding 7-Eleven customers
- 02:41 Vote 'Dildo for Indonesia': rivals for president find young voters...
- 02:29 Graffiti spotted in Tokyo could be Banksy artwork - maybe
- 02:27 Murray-Darling commissioner offers to include Menindee fish kill in...
- 02:15 Pharmacists warn of a 'surge' in shortage of common medicines
- 02:12 The Yorkshire Post says: Jeremy Corbyn failing his public...
- 02:12 Bill Carmichael: Brexit has to happen for democracy’s sake
- 02:12 Kenneth Baker: Education must change to meet country’s needs
- 02:10 British nightmare tourists expelled from New Zealand
- 01:59 Liquidators chase Fraser Anning for eight months over failing business
- 01:47 Greg Inglis to call time on NRL career after 2020 season