Flour to be fortified with folic acid to reduce birth defects
Flour in the UK is to be fortified with folic acid in a move to help reduce birth defects, reports have suggested.
Medics have long called for the move, saying that it could reduce the incidence of conditions such as spina bifida, when a baby’s spine and spinal cord don’t develop properly in the womb, causing damage to the nervous system.
Pregnant women, and those trying to conceive, are urged by health officials to take a daily supplement of 400 micrograms of folic acid, at least until the 12th week of pregnancy. But many women do not, especially if a pregnancy is unplanned and they are... read more
- 18:37 Police and ambulance rush to incident in Boston
- 18:36 Premier League rejects FA proposal to increase homegrown quotas
- 18:36 Tom Scudamore fit and on course to ride Thistlecrack in Betfair Chase
- 18:32 Family ‘overwhelmed’ by generosity of public who offered support...
- 18:32 Celtic to boycott Rangers away clash? Why fans could miss out on...
- 18:32 "Are you taking the p***?": Customers accuse McDonald's of false...
- 18:32 Power cut affects Sheffield retail park
- 18:29 Ex-Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner to serve 50-day prison sentence...
- 18:27 Wellesbourne to become a world centre for driverless cars
- 18:27 UK universities urged to review ties with UAE over jailing of academic
- 18:26 Power cut affects Sheffield retail park
- 18:26 Council to spend £325,000 on organisation aiming to bridge skills...
- 18:26 Universal Credit in Doncaster: Warning over potential £24 million...
- 18:25 Scots druid and witch pals in court after trespassing at Stonehenge
- 18:25 Apple supplier to slash expenses amid concern over iPhone sales
- 18:24 Sugary supplement mannose could help fight cancer
- 18:24 Chicago doctor killed by ex-fiance called police to report she...
- 18:24 Lockerbie: police find no criminality in way inquiry was handled
- 18:22 The man who mapped the Munros - before Hugh Munro
- 18:22 Two men killed while assisting driver of overturned car on A20
- 18:21 First ever plane with no moving parts takes flight
- 18:19 Devin Lima: Singer with US boy band LFO dies at 41
- 18:19 Poland reverses law on removing judges following EU court ruling
- 18:18 Where to bag a bargain in Leeds for Black Friday
- 18:15 Mum speaks of 'unreal' moment she gave birth on bathroom floor
- 18:15 The worrying reason benefits staff in Hull are getting special...
- 18:15 Tabitha (8) raises £400 for charity for fellow premature babies
- 18:14 ISRAEL TRIP: Bury's special Israeli connection
- 18:14 ISRAEL TRIP: Exploring the heart of the historic Levant
- 18:13 Why doesn't Michelle Obama's memoir have an index? Blame Trump