Five people die in US romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak
Five people have now died in a major E. coli outbreak in the US involving romaine lettuce, with 197 cases reported across 35 states.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said 25 more people had been affected since its last report on 16 May.
Two of the victims were from Minnesota, with the other three from Arkansas, California and New York.
It is the largest US outbreak of E. coli since 200 people fell ill in 2006.
According to the latest statement from the CDC, many of the people affected took ill two to three weeks ago, when the contaminated lettuce was still on shop... read more
- 19:05 Liverpool transfer news: Jurgen Klopp talks departures and...
- 19:04 Matthew Bates reacts to Hartlepool United's FIRST win of the...
- 19:04 Crowds turn out to enjoy Hartlepool Show and Horticultural Festival
- 19:04 ‘We’re ready and waiting for you’ - relaunch of Operation Galileo
- 19:04 Fashion boss gives £1m boost to People’s Vote campaign
- 19:01 999 emergency services entertain crowds at Cleethorpes...
- 19:00 Late Taylor goal earns Stratford Town a point at Royston
- 18:59 Reece Prescod’s late surge fractionally short of catching Christian...
- 18:59 This is Steve McClaren's verdict after West Brom wallop QPR
- 18:59 Steve Bruce highlights two positions Aston Villa need...
- 18:59 Italy mourns Genoa bridge victims at state funeral as some angry...
- 18:58 Here's what Mark Robins had to say about Coventry City match-winner...
- 18:53 New Hampshire woman bears no grudge after losing eye in home attack
- 18:53 Two paragliders dead in Macedonia after their parachutes collide...
- 18:53 LOTTO RESULTS: Winning National Lottery numbers for Saturday August 18
- 18:53 Kofi Annan death: World leaders honour former UN chief
- 18:45 Leeds United maintain winning start with strong second half show...
- 18:43 Mark Johnston equals Richard Hannon’s British record of 4,193 winners
- 18:39 Rare chance to buy a home and a share of a Georgian mansion
- 18:39 Pop princess Britney Spears wows Scarborough crowd
- 18:37 Kofi Annan: a kind statesman and a gifted diplomat
- 18:34 Boy, 16, charged with murder over Chingford stabbing
- 18:34 Weekend football results
- 18:34 Virat Kohli falls short of century but India edge first day of...
- 18:32 ‘We’re ready and waiting for you’ - relaunch of Operation Galileo
- 18:28 Football League: Roofe strike secures Leeds win, Middlesbrough stay...
- 18:28 Tony Xia tweets - and Aston Villa fans all say the same thing
- 18:20 Coventry City player ratings: The marks for Amadou Bakayoko and Co...
- 18:20 Belarus president fires prime minister after corruption scandal
- 18:16 Celtic transfer news: Brendan Rodgers offers update on Dedryck...