First batch of boxes to store nuclear waste
The highly-engineered 1.3 tonne boxes are playing a major part in the decommissioning of the West Cumbrian plant as the waste is moved into safe storage for centuries to come.
Darchem Engineering, of Stockton on Tees, and Metalcraft in Cambridgeshire have finished manufacturing the first batch of containers.
A total of 2,200 of the boxes will be needed to hold legacy waste from one of the world’s oldest nuclear stores, Sellafield’s Pile Fuel Cladding Silo.
Sellafield bosses have described it as the most significant step yet towards getting the waste out of the facility next year.
Glenn... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 19:31 Dates set for TWO demonstrations to force disgraced MP Andrew...
- 19:31 Mum says school is like a 'prison' as son, 7, is kept in at break...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 19:31 Fake news claiming Rowan Atkinson has died are 'linked to scam' and...
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 19:31 Watch terrified mum and tot flee car as dad hauled out in violent...
- 19:31 Compromise over 'ridiculous' plans to close popular riverside...
- 20:58 Summer getaway warning as motorists face 'frantic Friday' congestion
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 19:31 'I don't know where I am' Harrowing final call of drunk teen who...
- 19:31 Poundworld will disappear from the high street next month
- 19:31 Roadworks round-up: Where you might face delays in South Tyneside...
- 19:31 Mum forced to amputate leg after SHAVING cut left her with...
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 19:31 Thrifty bride and groom use food destined for BIN to feed 140...
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle
- 20:58 Special showing of ITV series at caravan park
- 20:58 NSPCC teams up with a Worksop housing project for It’s Not OK campaign
- 20:58 Keep BBQs off Winter Hill, say firefighters
- 19:31 Four-week-old baby girl found 'safe and well' after carjacking ordeal
- 20:58 Landmark for Bassetlaw Hospital department celebrated