Film reviews: First Man | 22 July | Mandy | Bad Times at the El Royale
In First Man, Damien Chazelle eschews jingoism in favour of a nuanced portrait of Neil Armstrong, the stoic introvert who became a national hero
First Man (12A) ****
22 July (15) ****
Mandy (18) ***
Bad Times at the El Royale (15) **
If it seems strange that nobody has made a film about the first man to set foot on the moon until now, Damien Chazelle’s appropriately titled biopic of Neil Armstrong offers a pretty good reason why. For all the potential patriotic fervour the story of America’s victory in the space race offers, First Man sets itself the more noble and difficult task of... read more
- 02:08 Baby box safety doubts raised by experts
- 02:08 How Curious Incident director made a gender swap hit
- 02:08 Making a Murderer 2: 'It's the journey of the convicted'
- 02:07 'Brextra time': what the papers say about PM's Brexit cameo
- 02:03 BREAKING NEWS: Legendary RSC voice coach Cicely Berry dies
- 01:52 Parents’ obituary for drug addict daughter goes viral
- 01:47 Viktoria Marinova: Suspect in journalist murder extradited
- 01:37 Australia's spy agency warned government Israel embassy move could...
- 01:24 Banksy video shows plan to shred entire Girl With Balloon artwork
- 01:22 Scottish economy resilient but orderly Brexit ‘essential’
- 01:22 UK firms face 65,000 cyber attacks a day
- 00:59 Man rushed to hospital after late night shooting in Wavertree
- 00:55 Women Sport Australia calls for more respect for female stars
- 00:54 Man 'beaten to death' in south-west London
- 00:50 £50,000 reward to help catch killer of mutilated prostitute
- 00:48 Cannabis in Canada: How it went down on Legalisation Day
- 00:42 Food allergies: What a severe reaction feels like
- 00:39 Cypriot budget airline Cobalt has suspended operations
- 00:38 Cobalt airline warns passengers that all flights are cancelled
- 00:35 Wembley sale OFF: Shahid Khan reveals why he pulled the plug on...
- 00:35 Man Utd news: Juan Mata speaks out on tough run of games and facing...
- 00:31 HISTORY BEHIND ‘CHEAP AND CHEERFUL’ PUBS
- 00:31 Gregor Townsend surprises with Sam Skinner but sticks with the plan
- 00:30 Two-thirds of rural Scots back onshore wind farms, says Survation poll
- 00:25 COURT ROUND-UP: Latest convictions from Doncaster, Sheffield and...
- 00:25 Highway Code to promote 'Dutch reach' to protect cyclists
- 00:23 John Lewis trials £10,000 experience to lure in shoppers
- 00:23 Firms defy pressure over Saudi conference
- 00:18 Would you splash out on a new phone to get VR on the go?
- 00:17 Man City injury news: Kevin de Bruyne set for Premier League START...