Fewer children living in workless household
The number of children living in out-of-work families has fallen by an average of a quarter since the start of the decade.
New figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that around one in eight (12%) children lived in a workless household in 2015, down from roughly one in six (17%) in 2010.
The trend has not been uniform across the country, however.
A few areas have seen a rise, the largest being Doncaster in South Yorkshire, where the number has jumped by almost a third.
Stockton-on-Tees (up 26%), North Ayrshire and North Lanarkshire in Scotland (both up 14%) and Bridgend... read more
- 12:19 Ant-Man and the Wasp FIRST reviews are amazing PLUS links to...
- 12:17 Workington woman seeks to break taboo over miscarriage
- 12:16 90-year-old man targeted in Bassetlaw distraction burglary
- 12:16 Heartbroken partner of murdered dad Derek Whyteside posts tribute...
- 12:16 Lionel Messi: Birthday boy jokes around during Argentina World Cup...
- 12:15 Germany building explosion injures 25
- 12:15 Football fans watching England v Panama urged to keep an eye out...
- 12:15 Shed catches fire in Shirebrook
- 12:14 Lisa Armstrong accused of treating Ant McPartlin's new lover 'as a...
- 12:14 Liverpool transfer news: Jurgen Klopp eyes move for goalkeeper in...
- 12:12 SCHOOL DAYS: Dallas Road School
- 12:10 France team news: Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba to start in this...
- 12:09 Lionel Richie: Endless love for couple who get engaged at concert
- 12:08 Jeremy Hunt hits back at Airbus over Brexit warnings on jobs
- 12:07 I’m an introvert and no, I don’t wish I was an extrovert
- 12:06 ‘Security guards’ filmed in huge bust up outside Primark store
- 12:06 Birmingham Page 3 girl Janine Andrews bounces back from cancer
- 12:06 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Grant for wildlife group
- 12:06 Man pretended to be cab driver so he could rape women after...
- 12:05 Volunteers transform gardens for Mencap service users
- 12:05 Bernd Leno reveals private talks with Shkodran Mustafi ahead of...
- 12:04 Top cop hangs up hat for the last time
- 12:04 Councillors to meet next week to discuss hot topics
- 12:04 Ulverston man banned after admitting Barrow drug driving charge
- 12:04 Thresher sharks use their tails like bullwhips to kill or stun prey
- 12:04 Vulnerable pensioner bit thief's arm to stop her stealing £200 in...
- 12:04 Tit-for-tat tariff battle could spark downturn in global economy – BIS
- 12:03 Fence alight at Long Eaton home
- 12:02 The six things you need to know to keep your pet safe in the hot...
- 12:02 Sleaford's Rapunzel to cut off three feet of hair - here is why