Fentanyl crisis: Is China a major source of illegal drugs?
Amid tension between China and the US over trade, there's also friction over another issue - the illegal trade in synthetic drugs.
The US believes factory-produced opioids - powerful painkillers increasingly abused by US citizens - are being made in China and sold from there too.
One of the main ones is fentanyl - 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine - which is only approved in the US for severe pain arising in cases like treatment for cancer.
President Trump has called out China publicly.
China, while not denying there's a problem, has hit back at claims that most illegal fentanyl is... read more
- 16:58 Facebook poem print labelled ‘one of the worst pieces of home...
- 16:57 Nuneaton Borough FC: Please don't give us donations
- 16:57 Transgender hate crime is rising in Lancashire
- 16:56 £7m care village given go ahead by planners
- 16:56 Transgender hate crime is rising in Lancashire
- 16:56 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 16:55 Arsenal legend Arsene Wenger could manage Premier League side from...
- 16:55 Arsenal fans SLAM Unai Emery for what he said about Aaron Ramsey
- 16:54 Nothing new in these policies
- 16:54 What it's really like at Jack's supermarket in Rubery
- 16:53 Council toughens up on Sutton spice dealers even if it leaves them...
- 16:53 Mayor of Berwick faces vote of no confidence
- 16:53 ESA underpayment: Who is entitled to backdated benefits?
- 16:53 Buckingham resident ‘privileged’ to have helped with building of...
- 16:52 Coroner highlights failures after death of student with sepsis
- 16:52 Mayor of Berwick faces vote of no confidence
- 16:52 Gourmet Burger Kitchen’s claims they sell ‘proper Indian’ food...
- 16:50 Theresa May has cover for a Brexit transition extension, and it may...
- 16:50 ‘The wolf of racial bias’: the admissions lawsuit rocking Harvard
- 16:48 Judy Blume's Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret to be adapted for...
- 16:47 Part of Daventry Country Park playground to remain shut until next...
- 16:46 No.79 bus torched in Bilston arson attack
- 16:44 Case of four men accused of conspiracy to murder John Louden adjourned
- 16:44 Liam and Chloe families to wait at least a year for bomb blast inquest
- 16:42 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw signs new five-year deal
- 16:41 Watch as workers at High Peak factory take strike action in pay...
- 16:38 Learn more about town school at open day
- 16:37 Leeds takeaway fined for selling cheaper beef and claiming it was lamb
- 16:37 ‘Lunatic’ driver had son, 8, in car when he sped through Sheffield...
- 16:35 £100k of illegally salvaged metal taken from Sunderland-built First...