Facebook: Cambridge Analytica data had private messages
Facebook has confirmed that private messages were included in data involved in the Cambridge Analytica scandal.
The social network said that about 0.5% of the 305,000 people who installed a personal data-harvesting app had given permission for it to access their Facebook inboxes.
However, many more would have been affected as the haul would have included conversations with others.
It is not clear whether the messages were given to Cambridge Analytica.
The political consultancy has yet to comment on the latest development.
Zuckerberg testifies: Seven things to look out for Facebook reveals... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle