Exaggerated symptoms can have impact on diagnosis and treatment, study says
People tend to overstate ailments and injuries when first asked about them, which could have implications for the way they are treated, according to a new study.
Researchers at the University of Aberdeen found exaggerated symptoms and feelings were expressed in the first instance, but that disappears when people are asked a second and third time.
The findings could help improve the way surveys and trials are conducted, as well as aid understanding of which diagnosis and treatments patients should be given.
Gertraud Stadler, from the university’s health psychology group, said: “This upward... read more
- 15:33 Disruption expected on the A64 as three weekend closures near...
- 15:33 Derbyshire set for Indian Summer as temperatures rise
- 15:32 Last gasp finish as Morpeth hit back for win
- 15:32 Team gold for Morpeth U15s on Northern Relay Championships
- 15:32 Turf Moor only football ground in the UK to serve Bénédictine
- 15:31 Nightclub blocked from hosting student party in Birmingham
- 15:31 Boxing fans reveal who they want Anthony Joshua to fight next ahead...
- 15:29 East Hull care home given 'outstanding' rating from inspectors
- 15:29 Lichfield rider Toby Barnes continues bright start to West Midlands...
- 15:29 Construction work begins on new £4.25million primary school in...
- 15:29 Further dashcam appeal after more concrete thrown at vehicles on...
- 15:28 Watch banned driver crash Audi into garden wall after high-speed...
- 15:27 Emotional day for widow of Queen's honour recipient
- 15:27 Shop owners 'threatened with reprisals' by drug dealers and criminals
- 15:26 Further dashcam appeal after more concrete thrown at vehicles on...
- 15:26 No-deal Brexit could cause gridlocks at ports warns Next boss
- 15:26 Central England Rehabilitation Unit party raises money for therapy...
- 15:26 Derbyshire set for Indian Summer as temperatures rise
- 15:25 Premier League manager odds: Two bosses more likely than Jose...
- 15:25 Emotional day for widow of Queen's honour recipient
- 15:25 Liam Miller tribute match LIVE STREAM: Watch Man Utd vs Celtic...
- 15:25 Cocky thief makes shocking confession that will infuriate Kingswood...
- 15:25 Emmerdale's legendary Kim Tate is returning to the soap
- 15:25 Festival celebrating life of previous Warwick Castle owner taking...
- 15:24 MeToo's hidden activists? Working-class women
- 15:24 Flag flown to celebrate 40 years of Cumbria Pride
- 15:23 Clitheroe Rambler founder marks milestone
- 15:23 New £1m. sports facility plan stalled
- 15:23 Kingdom litter officers in Merseyside are getting attacked with BRICKS
- 15:23 Saddle Junction traffic to get worse as revamp continues