EU tightens law on foreign temporary workers
The EU has passed a law requiring firms to comply with local standards when they post workers temporarily to another EU country.
The revised rules adopted by the European Parliament mean posted workers will be entitled to the same level of pay as their local counterparts.
In France, the UK and Germany there have been complaints of unfair competition from cheaper eastern Europe labour, said to undercut locals.
It was an issue for the Brexit lobby.
Brexit campaigners argued that EU freedom of movement was undermining British workers in sectors such as construction and food processing, with... read more
- 20:11 Ask Her to Stand: What's stopping women becoming MPs?
- 20:11 M4 crash: Drunk driver killed girlfriend in 'catastrophic' smash
- 20:11 Brexit: May to return to Brussels for last-ditch talks
- 20:06 Driving tests are changing in the UK this week - here's how and why
- 20:06 The unknown iPhone hack being hailed 'revolutionary' by texters
- 20:05 Libraries to receive sets of Muriel Spark novels to mark centenary
- 20:04 Khashoggi murder: Calls to remove Saudi crown prince 'a red line'
- 20:01 Double-dipping and blowing out birthday candles really does cover...
- 20:00 Voting is Open for the FutureTown Design Competition 2018
- 20:00 Gearing up for important winter work on busy Northumberland road
- 20:00 Livid I'm A Celebrity fans complain to Ofcom after Anne Hegerty...
- 19:57 Hunt still on for those responsible for two fatal Sheffield stabbings
- 19:57 Ozell Pemberton murder: Police release shocking CCTV footage of...
- 19:53 Life sciences sector set for £40m boost to create North-east hub
- 19:53 Victorian election debate: Daniel Andrews forced to defend bail for...
- 19:53 Berkeley Group bosses were accused of engaging in years of bribery
- 19:44 Outpouring of support for critically ill activist Harry Leslie Smith
- 19:43 Attlee child refugee recalls 'extraordinary love' of family
- 19:43 Tories clinging to office by the fingertips, says Labour peer
- 19:41 Man charged with murder of Coupar Angus boy Kane Morris
- 19:39 Calls for traffic lights to be removed as drivers stuck for hours...
- 19:38 Miconex launches site to revive British high streets
- 19:35 'A 1-0 battering' Our writers predict the outcome as Wolves welcome...
- 19:35 Martin Lewis's heartwarming advice to parents worried about not...
- 19:35 'Squeaky Robins is our king!' What Coventry City fans said ahead of...
- 19:30 Horrfying moment mother ‘high on ecstasy’ drops her baby and cracks...
- 19:30 Angry couple facing 'bailiffs' in Hull council row over £85 carpet...
- 19:29 Murder trial jury hears how men accused of causing Leicester...
- 19:27 Arsenal news: Arsene Wenger recommends Aaron Ramsey to PSG - but...
- 19:27 Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp to offer out-of-favour star a Premier...