England boss Gareth Southgate sent strong message with Gomez, Sterling press conference
Gareth Southgate gave a press conference as much for his players as for the media at St George’s Park following Raheem Sterling’s ruck with Joe Gomez.
His main message was a clear and supposedly unmistakable one: “I am the manager”.
In the confused aftermath of the fight in the private area of the England team's hotel on Monday evening, an FA statement quoting Southgate confirmed Sterling would miss the game against Montenegro and claimed, “the decision has been made with the agreement of the entire squad”.
Although nobody was saying so publicly, it increasingly became clear that was not... read more
- 01:29 EXCLUSIVE: Courier poll showing rise in support for independence...
- 01:04 Climate change: Anger as protestors barred from UN talks
- 01:03 Sudoku 4,639 hard
- 00:52 20 Islamist terrorism suspects arrested in raids across Denmark
- 00:52 General election on a ‘knife edge’ as Labour make gains in polls
- 00:51 Raptors honour Kawhi Leonard with special touch in tribute video...
- 00:47 Why like Emma Watson, we're happy to be single at Christmas
- 00:47 How the BBC reports polling day
- 00:46 Cameroon conflict: 'I go to a secret school'
- 00:46 Are India's claims about minorities in other countries true?
- 00:46 Volcano tourism in the spotlight after New Zealand eruption
- 00:46 What are beauty pageants really like for black women?
- 00:45 House approves $738bn military bill with money for Trump's Space Force
- 00:45 Trump antisemitism order denounced as bid to silence critics of Israel
- 00:44 Talking Horses: Trainers revolt over increased fees for apprentice...
- 00:40 Free parking at the Royal Priors Shopping centre on two dates over...
- 00:39 General election 2019: Scotland goes to the polls
- 00:36 Joe Biden: Democratic presidential frontrunner denies one-term pledge
- 00:30 Hendrix? Hepburn? Study busts myths about origins of UK's parakeets
- 00:25 BT to let sport fans buy monthly pass to watch matches for first time
- 00:17 Australia urged to give visas to Iraqi translators who worked for ADF
- 00:17 New Zealand volcano: police may do rushed body retrieval despite...
- 00:15 How much do we really know about why we give to charity?
- 00:15 My Money: 'My mate spent £6 on four Hula Hoops packs'
- 00:15 How millennials are changing the perfume business
- 00:15 Chemists demand clarity on cannabis-related goods
- 00:15 'I order takeaways six nights a week'
- 00:15 'My boss lets us book hangover days'
- 00:15 Trump tariff deadline looms: 'It's very scary'
- 00:10 General election 2019: Polls set to open across Wales