Egypt faces threat to harvest from water shortage
A MAJOR shortage of water is threatening Egypt's annual harvest, officials in Cairo have warned.
For the past 15 years, antiquated irrigation systems and a government conservation drive have kept many farmers from nutrient-rich River Nile waters, forcing them to tap sewage-filled canals.
In the north-west corner of the Nile Delta, Ibrahim Sharaf Al-Dein fires up his pump next to a murky canal only to watch it spew out a yellowish froth.
“This water ruins our pumps – it’s bad for our production,” the 50-year-old said.
But even as Egypt wrestles with dwindling water from its only major... read more
- 04:57 The most popular girls and boys names in Leicester last year revealed
- 04:41 Manchester United dealt blow ahead of Wolves clash as star lifts...
- 04:41 Bakary Sako latest as worrying Harvey Barnes update emerges for...
- 04:41 EFL respond to points deduction claims as Garry Monk lauds...
- 04:41 Steve Bruce names Aston Villa's John Terry replacement as Gary...
- 04:01 French Muslim rapper calls off shows at Bataclan after protests
- 03:56 Everton news: Richarlison reveals how Brazli superstar Neymar...
- 03:45 'Awful abuses': US denounces China's treatment of Uighurs
- 03:41 Brexit compromise still possible, Donald Tusk says
- 03:27 The needles and the damage done: the growers hurt by Australia's...
- 03:06 Bristol venue to play Africa by Toto on loop all night
- 03:00 LINCS LEAGUE: Fixtures
- 02:56 Labour could renationalise railways in five years - McDonnell
- 02:18 Value-for-money bakery opens in former Northampton Oliver Adams shop
- 02:14 Stamp of approval for Helensburgh training firm
- 01:59 'Hezbollah treasurer' Barakat arrested in Brazil border city
- 01:52 Neil McNicholas: Only answer to health threat is no smoking at all
- 01:52 Tom Richmond: Don’t waste chance to give leaders a public grilling
- 01:47 Former welfare recipients who refuse to pay back debt face travel ban
- 01:47 Republican lawmaker ends re-election bid as daughter alleges...
- 01:24 The town that became Scotland's chilli capital
- 01:24 Premier League shirts row: The fickle fashions of sponsorship
- 01:05 Viewpoint: What India's first newspaper says about democracy
- 01:04 The night Kevin Keegan sneaked back into Newcastle in a flat cap...
- 01:02 Maniac: The new James Bond director's experimental Netflix drama
- 01:01 How do you solve catastrophic hyperinflation?
- 00:55 Man City performance disturbing but Paul Pogba absolutely brilliant...
- 00:55 Wilfried Zaha: Roy Hodgson tells star to keep talking on the pitch...
- 00:49 The Yorkshire Post says: Universal troubles. Little political...
- 00:49 David Behrens: Sheffield Council needs lessons in common sense –...