Editorial: Royal Mail's strike ban bid shows the need to overhaul anti-union laws
THERE is nothing our propertied classes like more than a deregulated market. The guiding principle of the neoliberal counter-movement in economics which gained ascendancy in the late 20th century is that state regulation is an unnecessary burden on the entrepreneurial spirit that hinders economic growth and competition.
Of course, the regulatory framework in capitalist economies â structures built up over a century to maintain some kind of order â cannot vanish of their own accord.
Thus a powerful intervention by the state itself is necessary. The perfect example of a highly active... read more
- 01:29 EXCLUSIVE: Courier poll showing rise in support for independence...
- 01:04 Climate change: Anger as protestors barred from UN talks
- 01:03 Sudoku 4,639 hard
- 00:52 20 Islamist terrorism suspects arrested in raids across Denmark
- 00:52 General election on a ‘knife edge’ as Labour make gains in polls
- 00:51 Raptors honour Kawhi Leonard with special touch in tribute video...
- 00:47 Why like Emma Watson, we're happy to be single at Christmas
- 00:47 How the BBC reports polling day
- 00:46 Cameroon conflict: 'I go to a secret school'
- 00:46 Are India's claims about minorities in other countries true?
- 00:46 Volcano tourism in the spotlight after New Zealand eruption
- 00:46 What are beauty pageants really like for black women?
- 00:45 House approves $738bn military bill with money for Trump's Space Force
- 00:45 Trump antisemitism order denounced as bid to silence critics of Israel
- 00:44 Talking Horses: Trainers revolt over increased fees for apprentice...
- 00:40 Free parking at the Royal Priors Shopping centre on two dates over...
- 00:39 General election 2019: Scotland goes to the polls
- 00:36 Joe Biden: Democratic presidential frontrunner denies one-term pledge
- 00:30 Hendrix? Hepburn? Study busts myths about origins of UK's parakeets
- 00:25 BT to let sport fans buy monthly pass to watch matches for first time
- 00:17 Australia urged to give visas to Iraqi translators who worked for ADF
- 00:17 New Zealand volcano: police may do rushed body retrieval despite...
- 00:15 How much do we really know about why we give to charity?
- 00:15 My Money: 'My mate spent £6 on four Hula Hoops packs'
- 00:15 How millennials are changing the perfume business
- 00:15 Chemists demand clarity on cannabis-related goods
- 00:15 'I order takeaways six nights a week'
- 00:15 'My boss lets us book hangover days'
- 00:15 Trump tariff deadline looms: 'It's very scary'
- 00:10 General election 2019: Polls set to open across Wales