‘Don’t use disadvantaged pupils as excuse for badly-run schools’
Disadvantaged pupils should not be used as an excuse for chronically under-achieving schools, the head of Ofsted has warned, as it was revealed that more than 130 have consistently under-performed for a decade.
Amanda Spielman, the education watchdog’s chief inspector, said the schools had unstable leadership, problems recruiting, and high proportions of deprived students.
But she hit out at the culture of “disadvantage one-upmanship” in her first annual report, adding: “Schools with all ranges of children can and do succeed.”
Labour said Government policies had created problems with... read more
- 02:36 B&Q owner Kingfisher sales rise during warm weather
- 02:36 Walmart shares up 10% on news of online sales lift
- 02:36 Discounts and online help retail sales bounce back in July
- 02:36 Chipotle to retrain staff after series of food poisonings
- 02:36 Half of staff fear workplace monitoring, says TUC
- 02:35 US military parade ordered by Trump postponed 'to 2019'
- 02:20 Sheku Kanneh-Mason: Teen cellist wins new Breakthrough music prize
- 02:14 Comment: Universities can lead cybersecurity innovation
- 02:14 Business leaders sign up to support MCR Pathways
- 02:14 Scotland’s cases of fraud against businesses fall by half
- 02:12 Liberty Stadium operator claims venue has structural defects
- 02:12 Colchester shopkeeper 'told off' over thief poster
- 02:12 New chief urged to tackle police 'misogyny'
- 02:02 Whistleblower warns of Vodafone security breaches
- 01:43 Councillor hopes Northampton swimming pool's future can be resolved
- 01:38 Trump's military parade postponed amid news it could cost $92m
- 01:38 Atal Bihari Vajpayee, former Indian prime minister, dies at 93
- 01:38 China is 'rapidly' expanding bomber training, probably for US...
- 01:31 NYU offers free tuition for all its medical students
- 01:27 La Liga secures deal to stage top flight game in USA; Barcelona or...
- 01:25 Melbourne teen pleads guilty to hacking into Apple network
- 01:11 Celebrities warned over social media ads
- 01:11 Marine Le Pen's presence deemed 'disrespectful' at Web Summit
- 01:11 FBI sought Google location data of many to catch robber
- 01:11 President Trump relaxes US cyber-attacks rules
- 01:11 Motorola phone 'brazen copy' of iPhone X
- 01:07 Why blue-green algae can be toxic to pets and humans
- 01:07 Courtney Hadwin: British teen through to America's Got Talent semis
- 01:07 A-level results: Why clearing is 'not the end of the world'
- 01:07 Born Famous: Poverty safari or positive experience?