‘Don’t IGNORE us!’ Meddling EU begs Poland to STOP 'threatening' justice reforms
Poland is planning a number of changes to the way its justice system is run, with the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party seeking to increase its control after a huge electoral success in 2015.
The nationalist and eurosceptic party want to give justice ministers the power to hire and fire senior judges - something that has raised concerns among European Union chiefs.
Frans Timmermans, the vice-president of the European Commission, urged Warsaw not to “ignore” Brussels and respect its more moderate approach to law across the bloc.
The Dutch politician said PiS already had such a strong... read more
- 13:37 Michael Kors buys Versace in $2.1bn deal
- 13:37 Doncaster town centre tunnel shut for second night for repairs
- 13:37 Pret A Manger warned over allergy alerts before Natasha...
- 13:37 Stalled Royal Liverpool Hospital PFI deal could be ditched
- 13:35 Hearing into death of popular circus performer reveals how he may...
- 13:34 British holiday jet bound for East Midlands Airport forced to make...
- 13:34 New TK Maxx store in Leeds will create 45 jobs
- 13:34 Leeds man found dead during missing person search had bank and...
- 13:34 Teenage boy from Leeds dies after road collision
- 13:34 Columnist: Di Wade - Busy week
- 13:33 Dog has 3D-printed titanium skull fitted to treat unusually large...
- 13:33 Mid-air drama as Jet2 pilot declares emergency on flight to East...
- 13:33 Music review: Jason Derulo, Hydro, Glasgow
- 13:32 Manchester United revenues hit record of £590m
- 13:32 Josh Warrington dismisses Carl Frampton’s claim he’s already beaten...
- 13:31 Gujarat lion deaths: What killed 11 big cats?
- 13:29 Manchester United revenues hit record of £590m
- 13:29 League One and Two Live: Didier Ndong sacked by Sunderland
- 13:29 Wayne Madsen signs new deal with Derbyshire
- 13:29 RAMS LIVE: Manchester United v Derby County as it happens
- 13:28 British holiday jet bound for East Midlands Airport forced to make...
- 13:27 Burnley band night is music to Pendleside Hospice's ears
- 13:27 Ceremony held to honour Cumbria policeman who died 170 years ago
- 13:26 Belgium could build island over abandoned poison gas grenades
- 13:26 Grenfell Tower should not have been lived in, fire chief tells inquiry
- 13:26 Ant McPartlin wishes Dec Donnelly a happy birthday with hilarious...
- 13:25 Anthony Joshua vs. Deontay Wilder: 250,000 fans vote to see mega-fight
- 13:24 Nuneaton charity fun day fraud allegation investigated
- 13:23 Shocking video of fight between bouncers and clubbers on Mathew...
- 13:22 Teenage boy from Leeds dies after road collision