Don't dig for injury: Avoiding erratic movements and excessive back bending may save millions of gardeners from agonising pain
As Britain’s 27 million gardeners know, digging the garden is a great way to stay fit.
But done badly it could damage your back and joints, scientists warned today - making a good digging technique essential.
Not only does it make gardening more tiring, a bad digging style could cause serious injuries.
Now a scientific study has revealed for the first time how wielding a spade badly can hugely increase the strain placed on joints and muscles. Poor technique was found to increase the load on the back muscles by 50 per cent.
Shoulders were even more sensitve – with poor technique raising the... read more
- 23:26 Custody for 'Columbine' plot schoolboys
- 23:26 Novichok victim Charlie Rowley leaves hospital
- 23:26 Khalid Ali: Westminster plot bomb-maker jailed for life
- 23:26 UK weather: Driest start to summer on modern record
- 23:26 Michel Barnier questions Theresa May's Brexit White Paper
- 23:25 Mortgage misery: The homeowners facing repossession
- 23:25 Six ways China could retaliate in a trade war
- 23:25 Smart meters to cut energy bills by just £11, say MPs
- 06:47 Dol-y-Moch: Re-living childhood days at the 'slimy lake'
- 06:47 Gareth Shaw: If you’re not claiming marriage allowance, why not?
- 06:47 Susan Dalgety: Embrace legacy of Otis and Elvis in the name of freedom
- 06:47 Child-friendly gigs praised by parents
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: There’s a sinister side to Sturgeon’s new Catalan friend
- 06:47 Rare 50p coin sells for staggering £840 on eBay
- 06:47 Stephen Jardine: I was wrong about the future of restaurants
- 06:47 Watch: Moment police raid Nuneaton home and find thousands of...
- 06:47 Thatcher ‘Eurosceptic’ speech was never meant to be anti-EU,...
- 06:47 Foreign Secretary calls on Nato members to increase defence spending
- 06:47 MPs visit farm to highlight ‘crisis’ of berry picker shortage
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: The weakness of May and Corbyn has been exposed
- 06:47 John McLellan: The blood on the Brexit carpet can’t be ignored
- 06:47 Johnny Vegas reveals dramatic weight loss after split from wife
- 06:47 Jane Bradley: The sad end of this sporting life
- 06:47 Leader comment: Girl Guide badges to include actual Moon-walking?
- 06:47 This is when all the new Cathedral Lanes restaurants are opening
- 06:47 Girlguides ditch home making for mixology in culture change
- 06:47 Long-term CJD survivor at centre of legal protection battle
- 06:47 Person injured 'by falling object' near Coventry city centre - recap
- 06:47 Now That’s What I Call Music! hits 100th edition
- 06:47 Watch: Rare 200mph supercar cruises along M40