Do dock leaves cure nettle stings? Here's what to do if you get stung
For centuries dock leaves have been used by many as a simple way to stop the pain of nettle stings, but do they actually help or is it simply a placebo effect?
There are numerous home remedies which all claim to be the best way to cure nettle stings, but many vouch for the healing effects of the trusty dock leaf, whilst others deny the cooling powers of this humble weed.
Why do nettles sting?
The nettle's sting helps the plant to protect itself from predators who may try to eat or uproot it.
When the hairs of the nettle embed themselves into the skin, they break off the plant, releasing a... read more
- 16:07 Susan ‘walks the walk’ in a magical kingdom!
- 16:06 No complaints - West Brom must learn this Championship lesson and fast
- 16:06 Prince Harry breaks silence on whether he wants a girl or a boy...
- 16:06 Letter: Pension - The ‘invisible women’ of the 50s
- 16:03 ‘Use 999 responsibly’ plea after staff receive call from someone...
- 16:03 Why Yorkshireman Jason Liversidge wants to go 100mph in a wheelchair
- 16:03 Teenage girl arrested after man in 20s found dead in parked car in...
- 16:02 Mass marches in the UK - from Iraq to tuition fees
- 16:02 Louth newspaper office contributes to boost Poppy pot
- 16:02 The killing and mutilation of two vulnerable women that left a...
- 16:01 Roadworks round-up: Where drivers might face delays around...
- 16:00 Couple say they were ‘held hostage’ over £4,000 damage to...
- 16:00 Video: ‘At least 30’ injured after floor collapses at party
- 15:59 At least 22 people killed after commuter train flips over in Taiwan
- 15:58 ‘Use 999 responsibly’ plea after staff receive call from someone...
- 15:57 Jordan seeks to end Israel land lease
- 15:56 Toddler scalped when family friend accidentally drove over him
- 15:56 Todd Solondz: 'I have weak moral fibre. I wish I were stronger'
- 15:54 Prostate cancer: radiotherapy could extend thousands of lives,...
- 15:53 Smoke billows from Newton Abbot warehouse blaze
- 15:52 Launch party for game play
- 15:51 How many different names do you have for your dog?
- 15:50 Roadworks round-up: Where drivers could face delays around South...
- 15:50 Edinburgh’s belief takes them to one of their biggest Heineken wins
- 15:49 Man arrested after Leroy Ottey shooting released by police
- 15:48 ‘Use 999 responsibly’ plea after staff receive call from someone...
- 15:44 Amputee sex offender sent photo of his penis to 70-year-old woman
- 15:44 Newlyweds pose for romantic photo outside cannabis den
- 15:42 Party meeting and Mexico proposal leads to marriage
- 15:41 Roadworks round-up: Where drivers might face hold-ups around...