Detective recovers Oscar Wilde’s gold ring 20 years after it was stolen
An 18-carat gold friendship ring believed to have been given as a gift by acclaimed Irish playwright Oscar Wilde has been recovered 20 years after it was stolen.
Arthur Brand – dubbed the ‘Indiana Jones of the Art World’ for recovering a number of stolen pieces – teamed up with London antiques dealer William Veres who put him in touch with George Crump, a man who Brand said has ‘a decent knowledge of the London criminal underworld’.
The ring, worth £35,000, was stolen during a burglary at Magdalen College, Oxford in 2002. Wilde studied there and gifted the ring to a fellow student in 1876.... read more
- 01:37 Post Office IT fiasco: 'Decade of hell' for accused
- 01:30 Old mill could be converted into a new restaurant
- 01:12 General election 2019: What's it like to lose your seat as an MP?
- 01:12 General election 2019: Ten lesser-known MPs to keep an eye on
- 01:12 Blyth Valley: A constituency that changed its mind
- 00:59 Boozy santas look worse for wear as they hit the streets for London...
- 00:56 Boris Johnson reiterates opposition to second Scottish independence...
- 00:38 How Africa will be affected by climate change
- 00:37 New Robroyston station opens as rail timetables change
- 00:33 Alex Rodda: Man charged with murder over Cheshire boy's death
- 00:26 If the Brexit debate is over, the car industry’s problems are just...
- 00:25 Eliud Kipchoge: ‘Mo Farah did not fail in the marathon. I respect him’
- 00:15 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:15 Observer sudoku
- 00:10 What's inside the bright purple tent on the M62
- 00:10 Paedophile couple who filmed sick sexual abuse of children and baby...
- 00:06 Man,18, charged with murder after missing teen’s body found on...
- 00:05 Sean Batty to take on Susan Calman in Hogmanay party TV ratings battle
- 00:02 'She shouldn’t be taken for granted': White Island after the...
- 23:57 Albania earthquake: Arrests over deaths in collapsed buildings
- 23:51 Erling Haaland has told Ole Gunnar Solskjaer he wants to sign for...
- 23:43 British tourist fatally shot in robbery outside Buenos Aires hotel
- 23:31 UK election shows centre-left can't win by 'preaching' to base,...
- 23:25 Raymond van Barneveld bows out with loss to Darin Young in final match
- 23:25 Harry Dunn’s mother ‘distraught’ at footage of US suspect back...
- 23:25 Jeremy Corbyn finally says sorry for election disaster in open letter
- 23:15 New Zealand volcano disaster: recovery team unable to find last two...
- 23:09 How the Arsenal board have rated Freddie Ljungberg’s start to life...
- 22:55 Tactical voting was set to be Remainers’ saviour, so what went wrong?
- 22:55 Dominic Cummings: If Leave had lost Brexit vote, I’d have queried...