Dementia cases stabilising in UK, say academics
Dementia may not be the fast-growing epidemic it has been painted, according to experts who say that numbers of sufferers are stabilising in some western European countries, including the UK.
The data usually cited for the proportion of people with dementia and the numbers of new cases being diagnosed are from the 1980s and now out of date, say experts from Cambridge niversity in the UK, Stockholm, Madrid, Bonn and Gothenburg. Yet these estimates are being used to plan care by the NHS and other health and social care bodies.
“These old studies support the idea of a continuing ‘dementia... read more
- 13:27 New ‘unique’ war memorial for Gainsborough
- 13:25 Man arrested after woman 'raped and left in front garden'
- 13:24 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:24 Serious concerns over threat to public open space in Solihull
- 13:23 YP Letters: Give young a vote so they can have say in One Yorkshire
- 13:23 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:23 YP Letters: UK does not need EU to rebuild itself
- 13:23 Feature: Which butterfly came out on top in the big count?
- 13:23 Sainsbury’s to start selling own brand sex toys from £8
- 13:22 When do clocks go back in 2018 and why do we change them
- 13:22 Premier League transfer news: Leonardo Bonucci, Mauro Icardi,...
- 13:22 Supermarket meat thief attacked security guard
- 13:20 Incredible pictures showing British Army’s power and...
- 13:20 Saints suffer big Mallinder injury blow
- 13:19 Salmonella warning over pink meat
- 13:19 Wellingborough man pleads guilty to biting one-year-old boy
- 13:19 Can you help to find the 80-something-year-old couple that this...
- 13:18 Wellingborough man pleads guilty to biting one-year-old boy
- 13:16 Interview: The Lecht’s James McIntosh looks forward to a winter of...
- 13:16 'We deserve the best possible care today' - Lancashire woman damns...
- 13:15 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:14 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:13 Harry and Meghan: Duke sips kava drink as royals land in Fiji
- 13:13 A bins problem that's the weight of 250 hippos in Birmingham -...
- 13:13 YP Letters: John Bercow’s words go with territory in Commons
- 13:13 Salmonella warning over pink meat
- 13:12 Thousands of children with Send excluded from schools
- 13:10 Arsenal news: Emery weakness revealed, Neville in Wenger claim,...
- 13:10 King of Crime: cybercrime gangster thriller to premiere at Burnley...
- 13:09 'Instagram used more than Snapchat' by US teens