Deadly superbug fuelled by food additive in cakes, juices and jams
A sugar additive found in cream cakes, fruit juices and jams has fuelled the rise of a killer superbug, according to new research.
The study shows that the sugar – known as trehalose – is metabolised by the potentially deadly bacterium Clostridium difficile.
It suggests the common ingredient has helped trigger epidemics across the world. Trehalose is also used in dried and frozen foods, nutrition bars, fruit fillings, instant noodles and rice and white chocolate. It occurs naturally in small amounts in mushrooms, honey and seafood. In recent years the UK, Europe and the US have seen a sharp... read more
- 10:44 Willie le Roux: 'If he's selected for South Africa, he goes'
- 10:44 Coventry City star delivers message fans will love as Mark Robins...
- 10:44 Another vehicle caught out on Holy Island's tidal causeway
- 10:42 Lancashire to bid to become a mental health hub to help reduce...
- 10:42 Fantasy Football Tips: Will Eden Hazard play for Chelsea after...
- 10:42 Man charged in connection with Mansfield Woodhouse assault
- 10:41 What to see this week in the UK
- 10:41 Another vehicle caught out on Holy Island's tidal causeway
- 10:40 What is the Champions League of Darts prize money and what is...
- 10:39 Four months of snow could hit Yorkshire in coldest winter in 10 years
- 10:38 Archaeologists and curators leaving UK over Brexit fears
- 10:37 Man Utd vs Wolves prediction: No surprise if visitors win at Old...
- 10:37 Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder: Bronze Bomber sends promise to fans...
- 10:37 LIVE: Jeremy Corbyn arrives in Liverpool ahead of Labour Party...
- 10:36 Blood, spit and swabs: can you trust home medical-testing kits?
- 10:36 ‘I wanted a truncheon in my pants’: the rise of the penis extension
- 10:35 B&M handed record £480,000 fine after selling knives to teenagers
- 10:35 REVEALED: Most popular baby names in Blackpool, Fylde, and Wyre...
- 10:35 Sunderland and Hartlepool rail passengers face another Saturday of...
- 10:33 'Don't mistake British politeness for weakness', Jeremy Hunt tells EU
- 10:33 Four months of snow could hit Yorkshire in coldest winter in 10 years
- 10:32 Paramedic gets lovely surprise while buying lunch during busy shift
- 10:32 Man charged in connection with Mansfield Woodhouse assault.
- 10:30 AFL: Eagles thrash Demons to book AFL grand final
- 10:29 Worker rushed to hospital after 'explosion' on Speke industrial estate
- 10:28 Rail disruption north of Newcastle
- 10:25 Arsenal news: Everton star Theo Walcott sends warning to Gunners...
- 10:25 Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin fight a DISGRACE - Tony Bellew...
- 10:25 Cops swoop on drugs den flat in Nuneaton
- 10:25 Dog with no hind legs rejects wheelchair gifted by King of Thailand