Daily aspirin unlikely to help healthy older people live longer, study finds
Millions of healthy people who take aspirin to ward off illness in old age are unlikely to benefit from the drug, a trial has found.
While a daily dose of the blood-thinning medicine can protect older people who have previously experienced heart attacks, strokes and angina, researchers found the drug did not extend the lifespan of healthy people over the age of 70.
Doctors in Australia and the US enrolled more than 19,000 healthy people, mostly aged over 70, for the trial. Half the participants were asked to take 100mg of aspirin each day, while the rest took a placebo pill.
When the... read more
- 11:19 House of Fraser in Grimsby will not close after new terms agreed...
- 11:19 Ilkeston doctor suspended for three months following “deliberate...
- 11:17 Max Allegri hints at new role for Paulo Dybala after Cristiano...
- 11:16 Teenager dead after shooting in East London
- 11:14 Santi Cazorla reveals what Unai Emery wanted to know about Arsene...
- 11:13 The crime matters column with Supt Paula Booth
- 11:13 Car on roof outside Melton railway station after two-car crash
- 11:12 Classic 60s film at Louth cinema
- 11:11 Corbyn would back Labour membership call for second referendum
- 11:11 Man, 24, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after double...
- 11:10 Ryan Inniss: Dundee players need to show more fight
- 11:09 Man, 24, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after double...
- 11:08 Here's why the Prom is shut to traffic today
- 11:07 Darren Gough: Return of Tiger Woods only adds to lure of Ryder Cup
- 11:06 The crime matters column with Supt Paula Booth
- 11:05 Retired florist finds marriage proposal note from 1780, hidden in a...
- 11:03 Chas and Dave star Chas Hodges dies aged 74
- 11:02 Danniella Westbrook reveals cancer diagnosis ordeal
- 10:58 Robert Peston's 'guilt' at finding love after wife's death
- 10:58 A quiet night for Manby & Grimoldby WI
- 10:56 30 terrified dogs with matted fur and injuries rescued from house -...
- 10:56 Karen Clifton reveals the reason for her marriage breakdown with Kevin
- 10:54 Dad-of-one in intensive care after Hillsborough stabbing, says...
- 10:54 Woman robbed of her clothes in terrifying assault in Boston
- 10:52 Six sensational Thai restaurants in Warwick and Leamington
- 10:52 Crime chief says there's 'near to zero' chance of him re-running...
- 10:52 The amount of profit Jaguar Land Rover makes each second
- 10:52 Emergency services taking part in multi-agency training exercise
- 10:52 Fiat 500 review: New version of Car Share star will put a smile on...
- 10:50 Katie Hopkins to speak at far-right rally with Holocaust denier