Cruel target of rejecting 80% of benefit appeals finally dropped by Tories
A cruel target forcing 80 per cent of despairing benefit claimants’ appeals to be rejected has finally been dropped by the Department for Work and Pensions.
In a major climbdown, the Government have signalled they will abandon targets it set staff to turn down four of five appeals they are called on to reassess.
The target was widely blamed for many sick and vulnerable people having their benefits cut and being declared fit for work despite appealing the decisions.
Thousands of families were plunged into poverty after having their benefit appeals rejected – while the Daily Record... read more
- 11:33 Labour MP says second Brexit vote could lead to social unrest
- 11:33 More teachers back call for fairer funding in Sheffield schools
- 11:31 Usain Bolt: Athletics legend issues message to critics in bid to...
- 11:29 North Yorkshire Police Commissioner calls for Government to reverse...
- 11:30 LOOKING BACK: Swimming pool plans in deep water and 130-year-old...
- 11:29 Alarm as sinkhole opens in Ripon city centre: Residents react
- 11:29 Dog bites member of public in Harrogate
- 11:29 Wallaby on the loose in Filey
- 11:25 The world’s largest plane could take to the skies within weeks
- 11:27 Alarm as sinkhole opens in Ripon city centre: Residents react
- 11:25 Nazi guard, 95, is finally deported from the US to Germany after...
- 11:27 This company is looking for professional cuddlers - for £30 an hour
- 11:27 Incredible footage will allow us to 'see and hear' First World War...
- 11:27 Dog bites member of public in Harrogate
- 11:25 Eid Mubarak images, pictures and memes to send on Eid ul Adha
- 11:26 North Yorkshire Police Commissioner calls for Government to reverse...
- 11:25 Man known as ‘Mr Elastic’ can walk backwards after falling as teen
- 11:25 Staff put through 'terrifying ordeal' as thieves smash into Market...
- 11:25 Misconduct charges against Hillsborough police chief dropped
- 11:25 Cyril steps down after 50 years service with Alnwick Town FC
- 11:23 Do not travel on West Coast main line this bank holiday weekend,...
- 11:21 Perverted tourist snared in Sunderland by paedophile hunters
- 11:21 Police place order on Sunderland home to tackle anti-social behaviour
- 11:20 Arsène Wenger to get honour from Liberia's George Weah
- 11:21 Death crash driver to be sentenced
- 11:20 Spain's 'wolf pack' sex attackers confronted at Seville pool
- 11:17 Auditors praise North Tyneside Council for budget management
- 11:17 Wallsend entrepreneur drumming up support for adults with learning...
- 11:18 OMG! The Hills is returning to MTV
- 11:17 Experienced lifeboat man takes the helm