Could a blood test predict your chances of survival following surgery? Experts discover monitoring levels of a protein can reveal which patients are most at risk of death
A simple blood test may be able to predict a patient's chances of survival following surgery, a new study suggests.
High levels of a protein in the bloodstream may show that someone is suffering from underlying inflammation in their body, scientists claim.
This, known as the body's response to injury, is heavily linked to heart attacks, kidney failure and even strokes.
Monitoring levels of troponin, the protein responsible, may help doctors know which patients need extra care after an operation.
Dr Matthew Jackson, based at The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesborough, who was... read more
- 01:08 ‘I'm fed up with hearing May talk about who voted to leave’
- 01:08 Put it to the People march: a formidable sea of humanity and...
- 01:08 One million join march against Brexit as Tories plan to oust May
- 01:06 Stan Grant turns down Liberal offer to run in key Sydney federal...
- 01:03 What's going on with the UK economy?
- 01:00 Road sign cleaner who went viral overwhelmed at response
- 00:52 The grieving mum helping underprivileged students
- 00:49 First pictures of Stephen Merchant as Hull's Anthony Walgate killer...
- 00:45 Fire on Winter Hill in Rivington extinguished
- 00:36 Thailand election: everything you need to know about Sunday's vote
- 00:16 Massive fire breaks out in Glasgow where person 'knocked down'
- 00:13 Transplant service at 'breaking point'
- 00:09 RBS backs programme for female entrepreneurs
- 00:09 ‘Buy now, pay later’ deals blamed for many of Scottish consumers’...
- 00:07 Why Man Utd Ole Gunnar Solskjaer announcement delay has Tottenham...
- 00:06 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:05 Harry Maguire votes for Raheem Sterling and bright future for England
- 00:04 Euan McColm: History unmasks Brexit fellow traveller Corbyn
- 00:04 Nicola Sturgeon calls on MPs to seize control of Brexit from...
- 00:03 How the Scotland players rated during 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan
- 23:56 Review: Audi TT
- 23:54 Blocking indyref2 will deliver Yes landslide, says Canavan
- 23:53 Man in surgery after stabbing himself in the neck in Preston
- 23:52 Alzheimer’s and aluminium linked in Edinburgh University study of...
- 23:51 Manchester City will have to smash club transfer record to sign...
- 23:51 Manchester United told to pay £150m for Napoli defender Kalidou...
- 23:43 Villagers seek £200k to open community pub to replace occasional...
- 23:39 Spice Girl Mel B reveals she 'had sex' with bandmate Gerri Halliwell
- 23:31 Dani Garavelli: Hypnotised by May’s awful ‘I’m on your side’
- 23:26 At least 15 dead after al-Shabab gunmen storm government building...