Controversial pesticide is causing songbirds to lose their way and suffer dramatic weight loss
The world's most widely used insecticide has been linked to a global decline in songbirds.
Researchers say neonicotinoids, which have also been shown to harm bees, can cause migrating birds to suffer dramatic weight loss and lose their sense of direction.
The team say eating just three or four seeds a day treated with the chemicals caused problems.
NEO-NICOTINOIDS The pesticides - known as neo-nicotinoids or 'neo-nics' - are meant to kill insects that eat crops.
They are used in sprays and coatings on seeds – killing sap-sucking weevils and aphids.
Increasing evidence shows they also cause... read more
- 15:00 Clintons leaves St Stephen's shopping centre in Hull city centre
- 15:00 This 1,000 water mill is on the market for £2.3 million, and could...
- 14:59 Israel blames Syria for Russian aircrew deaths but 'expresses sorrow'
- 14:59 Baby Shark craze sees this gymnastics club's video go viral
- 14:58 Rejection on the cards for new homes in seaside village
- 14:58 Housing on former school site before councillors for decision
- 14:58 Kelso High School memories are brought to book
- 14:58 Get voting and let's bring home the gold to Northumberland
- 14:57 Roadworks warning: Where to expect delays on Wednesday, September...
- 14:56 Ryanair refuse to let Chinese woman fly leaving her stranded at...
- 14:55 Hacking disability: The woman revolutionising the wheelchair
- 14:55 Anti-doping rift deepens as agencies turn on Wada over Russia...
- 14:54 Livingston’s Optoscribe raises £2.8m funding
- 14:53 Thug smashes into car with metal bar and beats up driver sat inside
- 14:51 China escalates trade war with Donald Trump by slapping $60billion...
- 14:51 ‘Spiked’ student jumped from window naked ‘after hallucinating room...
- 14:50 Maduro's Turkish feast sparks outrage as Venezuelans go hungry
- 14:50 Violence in Cameroon’s anglophone regions ‘spiralling out of control’
- 14:50 Burkina Faso mass botched FGM leaves 50 girls hospitalised
- 14:50 China hits back at US with $60bn of new tariffs
- 14:50 72-year-old Bulwell man jailed for eight years after stabbing a man...
- 14:50 Scottish photographer snaps wild red squirrel pushing trolley of nuts
- 14:49 Vince Cable tells Labour to ditch Jeremy Corbyn and moderate MPs to...
- 14:49 Our Most Brilliant Barry…
- 14:47 Northern Rail passenger slapped with £20 fine for not having ticket...
- 14:46 Hartlepool pier cordoned off after man's death
- 14:46 New documents shed light on Shakespeare’s life
- 14:45 A backpacker’s guide to Chile: a one-month itinerary
- 14:45 Woodcote ram-raiders escape with stolen Lambrini
- 14:44 Good Beer Guide 2019: These are what it says are Doncaster’s 20...