Concern growing for Mars probe after signal lost
Concern was growing last night over an attempt by the European Space Agency (ESA) to land a probe on Mars after scientists revealed the signal had been lost.
Staff at the ESA operations centre in Germany said yesterday that the fate of the Schiaparelli lander may not be known until this morning.
Schiaparelli separated from the ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO) on Sunday after a 310-million-mile, seven-month journey through space.
The TGO is in the expected orbit and functioning normally.
However, the loss of the signal before the lander reached the Martian surface left ESA scientists... read more
- 12:10 France team news: Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba to start in this...
- 12:09 Lionel Richie: Endless love for couple who get engaged at concert
- 12:08 Jeremy Hunt hits back at Airbus over Brexit warnings on jobs
- 12:07 I’m an introvert and no, I don’t wish I was an extrovert
- 12:06 ‘Security guards’ filmed in huge bust up outside Primark store
- 12:06 Birmingham Page 3 girl Janine Andrews bounces back from cancer
- 12:06 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Grant for wildlife group
- 12:06 Man pretended to be cab driver so he could rape women after...
- 12:05 Volunteers transform gardens for Mencap service users
- 12:05 Bernd Leno reveals private talks with Shkodran Mustafi ahead of...
- 12:04 Top cop hangs up hat for the last time
- 12:04 Councillors to meet next week to discuss hot topics
- 12:04 Ulverston man banned after admitting Barrow drug driving charge
- 12:04 Thresher sharks use their tails like bullwhips to kill or stun prey
- 12:04 Vulnerable pensioner bit thief's arm to stop her stealing £200 in...
- 12:04 Tit-for-tat tariff battle could spark downturn in global economy – BIS
- 12:03 Fence alight at Long Eaton home
- 12:02 The six things you need to know to keep your pet safe in the hot...
- 12:02 Sleaford's Rapunzel to cut off three feet of hair - here is why
- 12:01 Forty years since Fat Is A Feminist Issue
- 12:00 John McEnroe calls for Wimbledon to seed Serena Williams ahead of...
- 12:00 HMS Queen Elizabeth squeezes into harbour on her return to Portsmouth
- 12:00 Woman seriously injured in ‘horrific’ sexual assault attack
- 12:00 We asked our readers for their memories of the Clock Tower - and...
- 11:57 Chief ‘sad’ over low turnout of England fans at World Cup
- 11:57 England and Panama fans party until dawn
- 11:57 Man, 59, gets four consecutive life sentences for raping...
- 11:57 Bolton Wanderers linked with departing Burton Albion midfielder
- 11:55 Fisherman robbed of haul at sea off Devon's Slapton Sands
- 11:54 New event set to unite Wragby community