COLUMN: Why asking for ‘PP’ leaves me feeling flushed!
What’s in name? Quite a lot, as it goes.
Shakey may contend that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
But, loathe to gainsay greatest English speaking scribe bar none, it’s bard advice.
Monikers matter. Nomenclature is king. All hail appellation. Without it, we’re merely numbers.
And, paraphrasing Prisoner Patrick McGoohan, “we are not numbers, we are free men”. And women.
So sobriquets – nicknames to you and I – are not only affectionate. But oft obligatory.
Otherwise we’ll all descend into chaotic confusion. Or confusing chaos. Either way, the sky will fall in. And... read more
- 05:15 Orange turns purple: Australian scientists solve fruit mystery
- 05:14 Poundland's shockingly realistic knife on sale to kids for Halloween
- 05:14 Grandad looked at his cancer X-ray and saw a Cocker Spaniel staring...
- 05:14 UK and Irish teenagers among worst in Europe for problem drinking
- 05:14 'Break the shell of mistrust': Shinzo Abe willing to meet Kim...
- 04:54 Dozens of cancer patients in Leicestershire are waiting too long...
- 04:51 Coventry City injury boost as Mark Robins makes this Sunderland...
- 04:31 Australia's rising suicide rate sparks calls for national target to...
- 04:30 Baby names: Is Muhammad the most popular?
- 04:17 San Francisco closes new $2.2bn transit hub after crack found in...
- 04:17 Slow-moving justice: tortoise recovered seven years after Perth zoo...
- 04:01 States seek public education deal after Coalition's Catholic school...
- 04:01 Tennessee debate highlights uphill battle as Democrats eye Senate...
- 03:53 Dead fish and litter in 'real' Bristol postcard competition
- 03:53 Theresa May: A general election isn't in the national interest
- 03:53 Labour conference: Jeremy Corbyn vows to create 400,000 'green' jobs
- 03:36 Acapulco: Mexico police under investigation over alleged drugs ties
- 03:17 Kenyan Waihiga Mwaura wins BBC World News Komla Dumor award
- 03:09 The Apprentice: 'Not one candidate is actually stupid'
- 03:09 Leon Bridges: 'America wasn't designed for people of colour to...
- 03:08 US-Iran: John Bolton warns Iran of 'hell to pay' if crossed
- 02:42 US arrests army reservist accused of spying for China
- 02:36 Mediterranean diet 'may help prevent depression'
- 02:24 Surprise budget news no reason to 'make whoopee', Morrison says
- 02:19 Derby County fan successfully wins appeal to have banning order...
- 02:18 Golf tour start-up takes to the skies
- 02:18 International and whisky sales drive Speymalt revenue growth
- 02:08 ‘Questions’ remain over death of 10-year-old Luke
- 02:05 Novartis factory up for sale in Grimsby as MP holds talks with...
- 01:53 Chinese national arrested for 'spying on US engineers'