COLUMN: Tackle classroom disruption by creating the right culture and getting the teaching right
A recent survey of teachers showed that behaviour in class is driving many of them away from the profession because they’re fed up with not being able to do their job without disruption, writes Mark Cottingham, principal of Shirebrook School.
This does not surprise me, although I will say that, having taught in seven different schools, the vastmajority of students are polite and keen to do well, that behaviour has generally improved over the years and schools are stricter and calmer these days.
Expectations are also higher, which helps keep students focussed on their studies, with bad... read more
- 16:06 Curle ‘understands’ fans frustration but warns he needs ‘time and...
- 16:05 ‘Prison isn’t working’: David Gauke calls for end to short jail terms
- 16:05 Burglar jailed for more than two years for Pontefract house break-in
- 16:05 ABP seals new deal at Port of Hull with global packaging giant
- 16:05 Wakefield convenience shop applies for alcohol licence
- 16:04 Balmoral Tanks loses 'price-fixing' court case
- 16:04 Corby Council proposes council tax freeze
- 16:04 Multiple occupation home plan put on hold in South Shields
- 16:04 Exciting new film showcases magic of skiing Scotland’s wilderness
- 16:02 Scarborough Labour Group reacts to the resignation of seven MPs...
- 16:01 Nandos and drive-thru Starbucks could be coming to South Shore
- 16:01 Burglar jailed for more than two years for Pontefract house break-in
- 16:00 Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit target rule breaking drivers in Codnor
- 15:59 The man, 51, who got drunk and disorderly at Hull Fair
- 15:59 Where and when to see RAF Tornados flying for the last time
- 15:58 Thief admits to stealing £50,000 from vulnerable Hartlepool man
- 15:58 Cleveland Fire Brigade bosses hit out over government cuts as they...
- 15:58 New £100,000 footbridge planned for A515
- 15:58 Carousel returns to Chesterfield for half-term
- 15:57 Kettering headteacher 'can't wait for next full inspection' after...
- 15:57 Burglar who stole 'irreplaceable' wedding ring from Sunderland home...
- 15:56 How Hull business Sonoco Trident has its staff's wellbeing in mind
- 15:56 Police hunt for Doncaster teenager missing for over a week
- 15:55 Chelsea set to beat Man Utd if N’Golo Kante ‘can stop’ Red Devils...
- 15:55 Eden Hazard to stay if Zinedine Zidane joins Chelsea? - These...
- 15:55 Martin Keown reveals why Man Utd should be worried about Chelsea in...
- 15:55 Futture Calderdale Royal Hospital accident and emergency plan put...
- 15:54 Police statement on shocking attack which forced paramedics to...
- 15:54 This Hull school is being demolished and this is the reason why
- 15:54 Family pays tribute to ‘special’ teenager killed in double fatality...