Coloccini: Benitez improved Newcastle United - but it was too late
0 Have your say Fabricio Coloccini says Rafa Benitez changed Newcastle United for the better – before he ran out of time.
The club was relegated this week without kicking a ball.
Sunderland’s 3-0 win over Everton on Wednesday night condemned Newcastle to the Championship.
Benitez succeeded the sacked Steve McClaren early March, but fans had called for a managerial change long before then given the club’s dismal form.
And the 56-year-old had just 10 games – two more than Alan Shearer was given the last time United went down in 2009 – in which to turn United’s fortunes around.
Fans now fear... read more
- 20:54 Schoolchildren hold protest to help reduce Sheffield's air pollution
- 05:49 Man denies drink driving charge
- 06:02 Grieving mum's shock after her son is buried in wrong grave in...
- 20:54 Shocked neighbours describe hearing three shots as man fatally...
- 06:02 Swadlincote criminal jailed after string of offences
- 06:02 The Alton Towers tips, tricks and hacks you need to know before you go
- 20:54 Emergency services deal with crash on important Carlisle road
- 20:54 Dalton teenager fined for possessing cannabis
- 20:54 Amazon customers warned of scam emails
- 20:54 Sky takes on Netflix and Amazon with cheaper streaming
- 20:54 Two tonnes cocaine seized off Cornwall is one of the largest ever...
- 05:49 'Trade war a reality' French finance minister warns
- 05:51 Liam Boyce and Burton Albion can 'sharpen up' after Aston Villa defeat
- 20:54 Dog-owner sparks danger warning from vet after finding rat poison...
- 20:54 YP Letters: Cyclists’ behaviour ruining joys of countryside
- 05:51 Euan McColm: Barnier rebuff should shut Boris’s cakehole
- 20:54 Eden Food & Farming Festival kicks off week of festivities with...
- 20:54 Little Hull girl writes to Santa asking him not to give her any...
- 05:49 This week shows you can NEVER write off Joe Anderson - but will he...
- 06:02 Forza Horizon 4: map, trailers and release date
- 20:54 Man arrested after crash in South Yorkshire leaves 24-year-old...
- 20:54 Work starts on improving village centre
- 05:49 Firefighters tackle Hathersage fire
- 05:51 Nostalgia: Do you recognise these Louth dancers?
- 06:02 The unbelievable reason why a driver abandoned their car on the M1...
- 20:54 121 killed in Greek air crash
- 20:54 Parking officer ‘waits for drivers to leave car park before giving...
- 05:49 How Netflix went from pioneer to powerhouse
- 05:51 Shadow ‘sensible’ party in bid to ambush Brexit
- 20:54 Disbelief as Northern cancellations see 400 per cent spike in one...