Claire Black: Ascent of charismatic SNP leader
On the final day of polling last week, Nicola Sturgeon appeared at a triumphal rally in Edinburgh. Underneath a grey sky, threatening rain and egged on by a wind that would disrupt even the most lacquered of hair dos, the First Minister mingled with the ecstatic crowd. She smiled, selfied and shook hands. It may have seemed a trifle premature since this was before a single vote had been cast. But now, one can only wonder what scenes we might have witnessed, had the crowd pre-empted the SNP's extraordinary performance on Thursday night.
The sight of Sturgeon among adoring crowds – often a... read more
- 14:08 Anti-Muslim hate crime increases after terror attacks – here’s how...
- 14:07 Britain’s least used railway station is in Yorkshire
- 14:07 Donate to help the homeless for Leeds’s St George’s Crypt
- 14:06 Nottinghamshire's best dressed houses this Christmas - in pictures
- 14:05 Ex-Hipperholme Grammar pupils head back to school for fundraiser...
- 14:03 Ex-Hipperholme Grammar pupils head back to school for fundraiser...
- 14:03 Nottinghamshire's best dressed houses this Christmas - in pictures
- 14:02 Woman casually tells court how she chopped up cousin then cooked...
- 14:02 Stevensons gets green light to move into old Castle Press building
- 14:02 Woman locked up after killing partner in fireball at their flat
- 14:01 Live: Paul Gascoigne appears in court over sex assault allegation
- 14:01 Woman walks away from Leamington crash despite airbags not deploying
- 14:01 Popular Scarborough restaurant El Gringos to go up for sale
- 14:01 Nottinghamshire County Council shelves plans for ‘super council’
- 14:00 Man, 32, arrested for 'making threats to kill' in six-hour...
- 14:00 Benefits cheat who failed to declare job must now work for nothing
- 14:00 KCOM boss announces resignation as internet firm 'enjoys a...
- 14:00 Family of tragic Rob, 21, claim Hull's new Hilton 'cancelled' their...
- 14:00 St Helens social services 'improving' following Ofsted criticism
- 13:59 Boy, 15, arrested after arson attack on police car in Daventry
- 13:58 Britain’s least used railway station is in Yorkshire
- 13:58 Fears plans to grow huge 'caravan city' will cause even more powercuts
- 13:58 Iconic Doncaster building to be transformed into housing and retail...
- 13:58 Time Magazine Person of the Year 2018 honours journalists
- 13:58 Mesut Ozil’s chances of joining Manchester United rated by Arsenal...
- 13:58 Multi-million pound funding confirmed for new health hub on part of...
- 13:57 Poppi Worthington’s dad fails in bid to have death record changed
- 13:57 Police release image of Audi wanted for Bircotes Post Office cash...
- 13:57 Suite which simulates medical emergencies set to open at KGH
- 13:57 Amazing support for Ripon Christmas festival in new location