Christians face elimination by Isis in Middle East, says archbishop
An Islamic State “apocalypse” has left Christianity facing elimination in the very region where the faith was born two millennia ago, according to the archbishop of Canterbury.
Justin Welby will use his Christmas Day sermon to brand the extremist group as “a Herod of today” – a reference to the biblical despotic king of Judea at the time of Jesus’s birth.
In the service at Canterbury cathedral, Welby will say Isis is “igniting a trail of fear, violence, hatred and determined oppression”. He will tell the congregation: “Confident that these are the last days, using force and indescribable... read more
- 00:28 Car boot sale this weekend
- 00:28 Ravensthorpe takeaway shut due to rats
- 00:28 Religious order to stand trial over horrific abuse
- 00:27 Cricket is tackling sexism in India's schools
- 00:26 California congressman Duncan Hunter and wife charged with corruption
- 00:26 Rail works and strikes to disrupt August bank holiday travel
- 00:25 Newcastle news: Jamaal Lascelles insists there is no need to panic...
- 00:25 Aston Villa news: Steve Bruce praises Alan Hutton fitness and...
- 00:20 Will Smith stuns shoppers as he dresses as a Boots sales assistant...
- 00:20 Truth behind Katie Price's finance problems exposed as reality star...
- 00:20 LazyTown actor Stefan Karl Stefansson dies aged 43
- 00:20 Forget 'survival of the fittest' – the laziest will inherit the earth
- 00:19 Price comparison sites 'rife with errors'
- 00:19 Mental health problems 'block travel insurance cover'
- 00:19 Bank scam victims 'shouldn't be blamed for money lost'
- 00:19 Salary question blamed for gender pay gap
- 00:19 S&P index set for record winning streak
- 00:18 The Yorkshire Post says: The amabassadors. Mayors and their...
- 00:18 The Yorkshire Post says: Brexit – and a need for jobs flexibility...
- 00:17 Call for two years further freedom of movement after Brexit
- 00:15 The Yorkshire Post says: Canal pioneers. How best to cross the...
- 00:06 Thomas and Friends make a great day out for all the family at...
- 00:05 National Trust property hosts event with Nazi uniforms and...
- 00:04 'Rare' hut sold on southern edge of British Isles
- 23:57 Man posed as ex-fiancée's mother's ghost
- 23:57 Greg Rusedski warns Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal not to...
- 23:54 Zinedine Zidane the ‘ideal candidate’ to replace Jose Mourinho,...
- 23:48 Paul Merson ‘shocked’ Aaron Ramsey stayed at Arsenal after Chelsea...
- 23:39 Venezuela hit by 7.3-magnitude earthquake
- 23:37 Scientists discover how to CONVERT types A and B into type O