Christchurch shootings: Sajid Javid warns tech giants over footage
Social media companies have been told to "clean up their platforms" or be prepared to face the "force of the law" by Home Secretary Sajid Javid.
The warning comes after a gunman who killed 49 people at two mosques in New Zealand filmed the attack and live-streamed it directly to Facebook.
Writing in the Daily Express, Mr Javid said: "Tech companies must do more to stop his messages being broadcast."
The live-stream of the attack on Facebook lasted for 17 minutes.
Despite the original video being taken down, it was quickly replicated and shared widely on other... read more
- 04:32 Shocking footage shows car driving down pavement on WRONG side of road
- 04:32 NSW election: the Labor underdogs fighting for unlikely northern...
- 04:32 Giant sunfish washes up on Australian beach: 'I thought it was a...
- 04:26 The latest on West Bromwich Albion's manager hunt as this man...
- 04:26 Birmingham City's finances explained and the Championship's...
- 04:26 Wolves' Wembley ticket latest as Old Gold star is snubbed and...
- 04:14 Guatemala seeks arrest of former attorney general Thelma Aldana
- 03:52 Domestic abusers 'sewing GPS trackers into teddy bears'
- 03:50 Frustrated fire chief blasts bad parking as 'constant problem'
- 03:33 Michael Daley gives 'unqualified apology' for claim Asian workers...
- 03:33 Fake news spikes in Indonesia ahead of elections
- 03:20 New Zealand shooting: Terror suspect staked out mosques 'disguised...
- 03:20 Thousands of Brits are signing up for assisted suicide in Switzerland
- 03:11 EastEnders overrun set rebuild project criticised by MPs
- 03:03 Cyclone Trevor: far-north Queensland areas face days without power
- 02:37 Where is Robert Murat now?
- 02:30 Hong Kong to build one of world's largest artificial islands
- 02:17 PayPal urged to block essay firm cheats
- 02:14 US airstrikes in Somalia are killing civilians, Amnesty...
- 02:06 Hint of fresh Wallabies approach may have Waratahs sweating
- 02:06 Kenneth To, Commonwealth Games medal winner, dies aged 26
- 01:44 Brazilian drug gang opens fire on convoy of trucks carrying nuclear...
- 01:27 Llanelli rescue after worker gets stuck in 20ft hole
- 01:27 Benefits cheat caught running at Crufts dog show
- 01:27 University of South Wales rugby on hold amid conduct concerns
- 01:24 The Yorkshire Post says: Chris Grayling runs out of excuses as Rail...
- 01:23 The Yorkshire Post says: Chris Grayling runs out of excuses as Rail...
- 01:19 TETANUS DEATH WAS AN ACCIDENT
- 01:08 White Crow's star dancer 'channelled' Rudolf Nureyev
- 01:08 Chandrashekhar Azad: The Indian Dalit leader challenging Modi