Chris Bond: Welcome to Leeds – a city failing to meet the needs of motorists
ANYONE who drives into Leeds city centre on a daily basis doesn’t need me to tell them what a miserable experience it can be.
Dante depicted hell as nine concentric circles of torment located within the Earth. For me, it’s a wet weekday morning stuck in a queue of traffic halfway into my four-mile commute to work. The typical cause of this interminable delay? A broken- down vehicle somewhere on the inner ring road.
The misery doesn’t end there. Once you’ve made it through the traffic, you invariably face a bun fight to find a parking space.
I can’t speak for other big towns and cities, but... read more
- 05:25 Office block undergoes £4m revamp
- 05:21 Revealed: Coventry has one of worst TB rates in the country
- 05:21 Are cost savings behind increase in fly-tipping in Coventry?
- 05:15 £5m University of Leicester Innovation Hub to nurture next...
- 05:15 Cummins Solicitors wants you to run a marathon relay for...
- 05:15 2018 Leicester Mercury Business Executive of the Year Awards...
- 05:12 Just one in ten of us will be smokers in 2023, say health officials
- 05:08 Brussels urged to investigate Czech PM over business empire
- 05:05 Lucy Ward and Claire Cook join BHW Solicitors in its house-building...
- 04:56 A very Australian coup: Murdoch, Turnbull and the power of News Corp
- 04:31 Wolves boss Nuno reveals the amusing story which led to him...
- 04:31 Major changes at Aston Villa as exciting transfer link emerges
- 04:31 Darren Moore said this about Craig Dawson after making him West...
- 04:31 "It's obvious they do" - Every word from Garry Monk on Lakin,...
- 04:21 Court martial clears two accused of negligence over Leicester...
- 04:07 Pioneering US ballet dancer Arthur Mitchell dies at 84
- 03:40 'We're in love but never have sex'
- 03:14 South East Coast Ambulance Service buys second-hand ambulances
- 03:12 New Zealand to pay out millions after thousands wrongly evicted for...
- 03:08 From murder capital of Europe to role model for London
- 03:08 Three in four London students 'from ethnic minorities by 2030'
- 02:57 'Don't go cold turkey' to quit smoking
- 02:21 Earthbound Games nets £750k to self-publish game
- 02:21 David Alexander comment: Retail outlet could return residents to...
- 02:21 SHE Software doubles team in one year
- 02:15 The disappearance of Fan Bingbing: is Chinese actor a victim of her...
- 02:15 Yoga ball murder: Man jailed for using poison gas to kill wife and...
- 02:13 Is the UK finally close to agreeing a Brexit deal?
- 02:07 Greater support is needed for the ‘vital’ network of unpaid carers
- 02:04 The Coral: 'We lead each other astray'