Chip shop owner charged after wife was ‘burned to death with 160°C cooking oil’
A fish and chip shop owner has appeared in court today over accusations that he killed his wife with boiling cooking oil.
Geoffrey Bran, 70, is accused of killing Mavis Bran at the takeaway they ran together in the grounds of their house, in the village of Hermon, Carmarthenshire.
The 69-year-old grandmother suffered horrific burns to 40 per cent of her body on October 23.
Neighbours said at the time that they had heard screams shortly before the mum-of two was found covered in 160 degree boiling oil.
Mrs Bran was then airlifted to the Morriston Hospital in Swansea, where she later died six... read more
- 00:42 November shopper footfall down as Black Friday bites
- 00:38 The Yorkshire Post says: Care conundrum – the price of political...
- 00:38 The Yorkshire Post says: If only it was this easy, Boris, as...
- 00:35 Fans with flares will be stopped, warn police ahead of crunch...
- 00:34 Tackle climate or face financial crash, say world's biggest investors
- 00:34 UK high streets face quietest Christmas since credit crunch
- 00:34 BP faces shareholder challenge over carbon targets
- 00:34 City investors call on listed companies to pay living wage
- 00:32 Revealed: Watch shocking abuse on Yorkshire firefighters targeted...
- 00:32 Six months of disruption: M621 in Leeds to be shut overnight for...
- 00:24 Grace Millane: Man appears in court charged with backpacker's murder
- 00:17 Manic Street Preachers announce new album and Leeds date
- 00:14 What really freaks us out about Christmas
- 00:14 YouTube gives £600,000 to target glamorisation of violence on...
- 00:11 Grace Millane murder: accused appears in court for the first time
- 00:05 UK to crack down on Scottish shell firms
- 00:05 Tories tell Derek Mackay he can boost spending without raising taxes
- 23:59 Crossrail may not open next year despite mooted extra £1bn
- 23:43 Matteo Guendouzi explains why Unai Emery was key to him...
- 23:22 Jürgen Klopp: I was not for one second worried about Mohamed...
- 23:22 Romelu Lukaku: bulking up for World Cup has hampered my club form
- 23:22 Marco Silva believes Richarlison has quality to score 20 goals a...
- 23:22 Arsenal to battle Manchester United for Hertha starlet Arne Maier
- 23:19 Harry Redknapp crowned I'm A Celeb 2018 champion in emotional scenes
- 23:15 May in last-ditch bid to save Brexit deal despite growing mutiny
- 23:09 Buenos Aires becomes ghost town as fans follow delayed final
- 23:05 Chelsea bosses could let David Luiz leave over contract policy
- 22:58 Aston Villa star reveals the ‘really bad’ moment that transformed...
- 22:58 I'm A Celebrity 2018 winner revealed after shock final two
- 22:56 Cheryl's net worth revealed after losing lucrative L'Oreal contract