Chinese official who hoarded cash convicted of corruption
A former senior Chinese energy official found to have more than 200 million yuan (24.12 million pounds) in cash at his home has been given a suspended death penalty after being found guilty of corruption, state news agency Xinhua said on Monday.
Wei Pengyuan had been deputy director of the coal department at the National Energy Administration until he was put under investigation in 2014, with officials saying at the time the cash found was the largest amount ever found in a graft case.
The court in the northern city of Baoding handed Wei a death sentence, suspended for two years, which in... read more
- 11:19 Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova line up grass-court matches prior...
- 11:19 Man Utd growing confident over signing Willian due to Chelsea budget
- 11:19 Man Utd legend Roy Keane: Why I DON’T regret walking out of 2002...
- 11:19 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:18 Charlie and Gayle Anderson deaths: Couple 'dreamed' of Jamaica move
- 11:18 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:17 Northumberland mum one of 'top 50 women in engineering'
- 11:17 Record run chase is just the job for F&B
- 11:15 Dublin crash horror: Car hits crowd outside church - two seriously...
- 11:14 Quiz: World Cup hat-tricks
- 11:14 Women's decathlon set for US debut – but do athletes really want it?
- 11:14 Sunderland's Bette Davis expert set to speak at celebrity conference
- 11:14 Watch: Huge flames and black smoke rise into the sky after 'arson...
- 11:14 Mansfield Woodhouse road closed after motorbike crash
- 11:14 The Met Office is introducing two new types of weather warnings -...
- 11:14 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:14 Britain braced for 'blowtorch' heatwave which could spark...
- 11:13 Stacked up on sun cream? Here are seven things you didn't know...
- 11:13 Can sunscreen stop you from getting a tan?
- 11:12 Mystery over sudden death of boy, 3, who went to sleep and never...
- 11:12 Dog gets jaw and tongue stuck in toy she only had for 30 minutes
- 11:12 Morley RFC welcomes new chair and president with family day
- 11:11 Eighty-two chihuahuas found at Birmingham house
- 11:11 More rare dormice released into the wild
- 11:11 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:10 Gareth Southgate would not swap Harry Kane for anyone
- 11:10 Fantastic family fun on the canal
- 11:10 Inquest adjourned following sudden death of Barrow dad, 45
- 11:09 Stop your dogs biting us, plead postmen after 2,300 attacks in...
- 11:09 REVEALED: Full list of planned roadworks in Yorkshire over the...