China proposes to let Xi Jinping extend presidency beyond 2023
China's governing Communist Party has proposed removing a clause in the constitution which limits presidential service to two terms in office.
The move would allow the current President Xi Jinping to remain as leader after he is due to step down.
There had been widespread speculation that Mr Xi would seek to extend his presidency beyond 2023.
The party congress last year saw him cement his status as the most powerful leader since the late Mao Zedong.
The announcement was carried on state news agency Xinhua on Sunday.
"The Communist Party of China Central Committee proposed to remove... read more
- 01:00 Domestic abuse victims 'failed' by private probation service
- 00:59 Raptor crime report sparks fresh calls for grouse moor licensing
- 00:56 Letter from Africa: Why I was sentenced to 5,000 years in jail
- 00:56 Reality Check: The worst place to be stranded at sea?
- 00:50 Why an authentic taste of India is going down so well for Gokul...
- 00:47 Labour wants green energy to power most UK homes by 2030
- 00:46 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:45 Labour peer Charles Falconer apologises over war on drugs
- 00:44 Sudoku 4,174 medium
- 00:41 Dellen Millard killed father as he slept and inherited millions
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: TV at its very best. The 60th anniversary...
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: Rural indifference. Main parties neglect...
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: The three-way Brexit battle. Deep...
- 00:27 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:27 Jenna lowers her tone to keep up royal ‘addiction’
- 00:26 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:24 'I'm not going anywhere': Kavanaugh defends himself on Fox News
- 00:16 Jenna lowers her tone to keep up royal ‘addiction’
- 00:14 Lewis Crocker: Protestant boxer's payout over discrimination claim
- 00:13 Debenhams attempts to 'bring joy back' to High Street
- 00:11 Liverpool fans hail Xherdan Shaqiri ‘signing of the year’ as...
- 00:10 Trump plans new Kim summit a year after threat to destroy North Korea
- 00:10 David Attenborough calls for more BBC arts coverage
- 00:10 What furious Jose Mourinho told Paul Pogba after mistake...
- 00:08 The female pilot teaching African women to fly
- 00:07 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:06 How translation apps are ironing out embarrassing gaffes
- 00:00 Lancashire's rising crime rate is result of new reporting method,...
- 23:42 Judy Murray snaps up Andy Murray-inspired penguin
- 23:38 Donald Trump hails South Korea trade deal