Child poverty in Morecambe hits headlines in New York
A “relentless increase” in child poverty in Morecambe has received international attention after The New York Times visited the town.
The newspaper visited Morecambe Bay Primary School and Morecambe Bay Foodbank, who are at the frontline of attempting to tackle the issues resulting from controversial benefit changes, low and unstable wages, and the ever increasing cost of living.
This week, an anonymous benefactor donated £10,000 to Morecambe Bay Food Bank after the organisation, run by the Trussell Trust, put out an appeal to purchase a new van to deal with the increasing demand.
Joanna... read more
- 13:27 France Gilets Jaunes: Macron promises divide protest leaders
- 13:27 Silverwood resort to expand with fresh HSBC funding
- 13:27 Bilton school marks 'significant strides' after being taken out of...
- 13:26 Collision on A1 in Northumberland results in death of horse
- 13:26 Amy Winehouse's ex-husband breaks silence on her drug use
- 13:25 Pause for Thought
- 13:25 Liverpool news: Dries Mertens SLAMS Kop ahead of Napoli Champions...
- 13:25 Ronnie O’Sullivan rival admits he’d BACK breakaway snooker tournament
- 13:25 Football ground arson attack probe after repeated attacks
- 13:24 Sheffield recovery truck driver unable to work after thieves strike...
- 13:23 Hull man's £850 raids on Tesco stores
- 13:23 Brexit: what can May hope to achieve in her dash to the continent?
- 13:23 Putin's East German identity card found in Stasi archives – report
- 13:22 Spot yourself in our pictures of the Melton Santa Fun Run and Walk
- 13:22 Fire crews come to the rescue of bride stranded on her wedding day...
- 13:22 Cadwell Park to feature in new film - and here's how you can help!
- 13:22 Ian Huntley thinks about murdered schoolgirls Holly Wells and...
- 13:21 Emma-Jayne Magson found guilty by jury of murdering her boyfriend
- 13:21 There’s a very contagious cold sweeping the UK – here are the...
- 13:21 Grimsby's dying Christmas tree removed - and a new one is on its way!
- 13:20 Woman walks away from Leamington crash despite airbags not deploying
- 13:19 Senior conductor at Skegness Railway Station rewarded for service
- 13:19 Sheffield man’s £200,000 lottery ‘win’ probed after claims ticket...
- 13:17 It's not just patients! - Boston Pilgrim hospital staff slapped...
- 13:17 This is why Liverpool ground to a halt this morning
- 13:17 Ex-boyfriend of tragic teen who swallowed his cocaine 'threatened...
- 13:15 Invasion of prehistoric bugs that will eat ANYTHING in your home
- 13:14 Council pledges financial help to domestic abuse refuge centres at...
- 13:14 Trans people invited to mark sex change in church
- 13:13 The disastrous transfer window every West Brom fan is desperate to...