Cat Person fame was 'annihilating', reveals Kristen Roupenian
A year after her short story Cat Person was debated and picked apart by millions of readers around the world, the author Kristen Roupenian has recalled what it was like dealing with the scrutiny that came with her sudden prominence.
Writing in the New Yorker, which first published Cat Person in December 2017, the American writer explains she had only been published in small journals before she debuted in the magazine with her story about Margot and Robert, framed around a single bad date.
In her essay looking back, Roupenian revealed that it took three days for her to realise the story was... read more
- 08:11 St Helens Council say it has been 'forced' to raise council tax by...
- 08:11 Sex attacker, 15, allowed back into same school as his victim
- 08:11 Tourists face £52 visa for EU after Brexit as Spain plans to...
- 08:11 This is what the weather will be like today
- 08:10 This is what the weather will be like today
- 08:09 University Hospital's latest bid to improve parking chaos
- 08:09 Wasps vow to press ahead with major development
- 08:09 Live: Long delays on M6 near Coventry and A5 crash
- 08:09 Gainsborough MP says Britain has nothing to gain by delaying Brexit
- 08:07 Scots replacements for leaders will step to the mark, says Sean...
- 08:07 Lewis Capaldi tickets for Edinburgh and Glasgow go on sale today –...
- 08:07 This is what the weather will be like today
- 08:06 Travellers to be sentenced today for Lancashire brewery raid which...
- 08:06 Blackpool Council to combat single use plastics
- 08:06 US China trade hopes lift markets - business live
- 08:04 This is what the weather will be like today
- 08:04 What Unai Emery told Arsenal squad in special team meeting before...
- 08:04 Tortoise not seen for 100 years is discovered in Galapagos
- 08:02 Thousands of patients across Coventry and Warwickshire being forced...
- 08:02 Take Five Things You Must Do Next Week
- 08:02 Who else will join The Independent Group as East Yorkshire MPs...
- 08:01 Steve Clarke launches furious rant at 'Dark Ages' Rangers fans...
- 07:59 Hoda Muthana: US says it will not readmit Alabama woman who joined...
- 07:54 Boat yard plans get the go ahead
- 07:51 BAE Systems announces profit increase of £186m on previous year
- 07:50 Keeping tabs half a world away
- 07:50 BAE Systems announces profit increase of £186m on previous year
- 07:48 Men to be sentenced over £313k Thwaites Brewery damage
- 07:47 Naked man saved after fire started in ‘brothel’ above ‘Simply...
- 07:47 Centrica says 2019 profit to be hit by energy price cap