Canadian Government demands return of First Nation skulls
The Canadian Government has made a formal request to the National Museum of Scotland to repatriate the remains of two people belonging to a now-extinct First Nation. Canada's heritage minister Melanie Joly has sent a letter to National Museums Scotland asking for the remains, of two of the last Beothuk people, to be returned to the country.
Ottawa put the National Museums Scotland on notice last year that the Canadian government would be making a formal demand for repatriation.
A spokeswoman for the National Museums of Scotland said: “We have now received a formal request from the Canadian... read more
- 00:46 Robert Cheesewright: Smart meters are first step to a greener county
- 00:41 Bridget Fox: Now is the time to get us on road to low-carbon future
- 00:41 Police appeal over petrol bomb incidents
- 00:36 Google employees criticise 'censored China search engine'
- 00:36 US police tase 87-year-old woman cutting dandelions
- 00:26 Troubled prisons to trial £10m blitz on drugs and violence
- 00:18 A dry but cloudy Saturday in store
- 00:17 Novel way to help Syrian refugees
- 00:12 Both low and high-carb diets can raise risk of early death, study...
- 00:07 Relaxing e-cigarette laws would cut smoking deaths, say MPs
- 00:02 Why your next flight may go via China
- 00:02 AB Vajpayee: The PM who consolidated India as a nuclear power
- 00:02 'Why I never want babies'
- 00:02 They lost fingers entering Canada. Then what happened?
- 00:02 Obituary: Aretha Franklin
- 00:02 Corona beer owner to pour $4bn into weed
- 00:02 Ancient Egyptian mummification 'recipe' revealed
- 00:02 US Asians hire out cinemas to screen Crazy Rich Asians
- 00:02 Hillary Clinton praises girl for US Pledge of Allegiance protest
- 00:02 Atal Behari Vajpayee: Former India PM dies at 93
- 00:02 Islamic State claims Kabul's latest deadly attacks
- 00:02 Sweden Muslim woman who refused handshake at job interview wins case
- 00:02 Trump wages war of words with ex-CIA chief John Brennan
- 00:02 Pope Francis on side of victims of 'predator' priests in US
- 00:02 India monsoon floods 'kill 106' in Kerala
- 00:02 Wheat gene map to help 'feed the world'
- 00:02 Genoa bridge collapse: 'Miracle escape' stories emerge
- 00:02 Aretha Franklin: Tributes flow in for Queen of Soul
- 00:01 Sick babies at risk from lack of breathing tube monitoring
- 00:01 Liver transplants 'may be unnecessary thanks to new drug treatment'